Every January and May, radio station WHRB at Harvard University has what they call their Orgy® Period. It's exam time at Harvard, and decades ago they decided rather than take time to make up a schedule with the usual variety they would just play everything they had by a particular composer, performer, group, or in a particular genre, and call it "the … orgy." You can see from the link that it has lots of different kinds of stuff, although more is classical than anything else. They stream it all at whrb.org so you can listen to whatever you want. The times are Eastern Time.
They also broadcast and stream the Metropolitan Opera on Saturday afternoons. Note that on Jan. 17 they will have "Dr. Atomic," a fairly new piece about the Manhattan Project, which developed the atom bomb. (Opera is supposed to appeal to gay men.)
Maybe 12 years ago they had a Bach Orgy and I was lucky enough to be sick just about the whole time, so I could lie in my bed all day drifting between sleep and waking and listening to Bach.

11 comments:
Its funny... I watched "Dr. Atomic" the other night on the local PBS channel. I have never really seen an opera before, but I have a new HD tv in my room and no cable, but I can pick up the local PBS in HD over the rabbit ears.
It was interesting, I kind of liked it. I like music, and I used to act quite a bit as a youngin' so its still something that interests me.
It was a good opera too, although i laughed... they ran subtitles so others could understand what they were singing.
I cant imagine listening to it though without getting to see the way the actors act. but i'm sure it will still be enjoyable.
I have a hard time trusting an institution that does exams AFTER winter break.
i missed the day the passed out opera gay cards i guess coz i cant stand that stuff. please dont take away my gay card. haha
Courage — Hadn't thought about it that way, but I suppose listening to opera on radio is kind of like other radio drama. You have to use your imagination, but if you know the story it's possible to get caught up in it. The vast majority of my opera experience is listening to it on radio and recordings, so I'm used to having only the sound.
Blackout blog — Well it used to be the regular way people did things. IMO exams after break has two advantages. You have a bit of extra time to catch up if you need it. And the semester doesn't have to start before summer is over.
Ryan — Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.
BTW, Ryan — I hope you can find an orgy or two that you can enjoy.
I like the last line. I just had to laugh. I used to listen to classical music at night to fall asleep (although I am not saying it's boring).
I do wish I had the musical talents that gay men are supposed to have. I can barely even sing properly--much more play an instrument.
I still fall asleep with the radio on, tuned to a classical music station. It's nice to have the music playing softly as I'm falling asleep and when I wake up.
Sometimes I wonder, though, if it creates an unconscious association between the music and going to sleep which makes me more likely to doze off when I'm at a concert.
My comment appears to have been lost. Never mind - I enjoyed your post more than my original comment would amuse you!
Off topic, but you asked MB about Landyn - well we IM'd today, and he is very well, and dealing with things.
Bless you for asking G =]
Thanks for the update on Landyn.
And I'm sorry your earlier comment disappeared. I've had that happen occasionally, too. I thought I had posted a comment on someone's blog, but it never showed up. I suspect it may have had to do with the word verification, but I'm not sure.
Which reminds me, I think I might as well get rid of word verification here. If I start getting tons of computer generated junk, I can always put it back.
The thing is though--the music always seems to get louder as the night progresses.
Someone should write a software program to lower the volume with the time (somehow--you know how those software people do magic).
hey honey thanks for the support and love u send i got a new post up might explain things a little better. thanks again for being a friend!
kisses
Post a Comment