Friday, January 13, 2012

Things Got Busy

Nothing too spectacular has been happening, but there's been a fair amount of little stuff to attend to — meetings, appointment with my dentist's cleaning woman (hygienist, to use the official title) (BTW, the dentist is also a woman). Working on the next schedule for liturgy ministers (people other than the priest who have special functions at Sunday Mass) was quite time-consuming for a couple of days earlier this week. I went to a symphony concert last week, and to two this week. Check out my music blog if you want more info about those.

Last week, I sent off an e-mail to "Tim" from the Race Committee, asking if he might want to take in a show with me sometime. He replied that he had "a lot on [his] plate" right now, but we could discuss it when sailing season resumes. It used to be that an answer like that would have me feeling completely rejected. But now I see it as less drastic. For one thing, it was probably an unexpected invitation. For another, he did indicate a willingness to explore the idea. So I'm choosing to take a glass-half-full attitude toward it. And even if nothing ever comes of it, it's not the end of the world. It was worth asking.

Immediately after posting the above, I came across a link to this article by James Martin, S.J., pointing out that it is the official teaching of the Catholic Church that we must treat homosexuals with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. I think it's worth reading. Some of you may have reactions similar to some of the commenters, but what he quotes is official and I think deserves to be known.

1 comment:

Zack J. said...

I'm glad you didn't let his response to your invitation leave you feeling rejected and I hope you two get to do something together when it's more convenient. Thanks for posting that link. I'll be sure to read it. I like James Martin's book "My Life With the Saints." Here's the link to it, and it's also on Amazon: http://www.loyolapress.com/my-life-with-the-saints-by-james-martin-sj-hc.htm