Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Germany/France — July 23-24, 2012

I've finally got the pictures of my trip from my camera to my computer, so now I'm ready to begin posting about my recent trip. I left Boston on Monday, July 23, and arrived in Munich (via Philadelphia) on the morning of Tuesday, July 24. From there, I went by van (recommended by my sister-in-law) to Regensburg, arriving there late in the morning.

After a little nap (I hadn't slept much on the plane), I started to stroll around the city. After a while I came to the Basilica of St. Emmeram, which I had missed on my first visit to the city over 20 years ago. It was a monastery until the secularization which the empire decreed in 1802. The church had been redone in baroque style, but the thing which really interested me was the crypt which contains the remains of St. Wolfgang, who was bishop of Regensburg about 1000 years ago and who founded several other dioceses.

When I had satisfied my interest in St. Emmeram's I headed toward the cathedral. On my previous visit, it had been closed for repair and restoration work. This time it was open, so I got to see the inside, as well as the outside. My sister-in-law was practicing for her concert the following evening, with my nephew helping her. I saw them briefly.

I had dinner in a restaurant adjacent to the north side of the cathedral, the Bischofshof, where I enjoyed good food and beer, served by a nice-looking waiter. I was at an outdoor table with room for four, and eventually a couple came and joined me. They were from Germany, but had lived in Australia for a long time, and the wife had worked as a doctor in a hospital in Los Angeles. At the end of the dinner, I asked the waiter if he would be working the following night. When he said he would not, I suggested he go to the concert in the cathedral, but he had to go to a friend's birthday party. He'd have liked to go, since he had studied music.

After dinner, I strolled around a bit more, passing the remains of the ancient Roman gate and going on to the bank of the Danube. By the time I got back to my hotel at about 10:00, it had gotten dark.


I'm posting this now, on the 14th of August, without pictures, inorder to keep to a plan of posting about each day precisely three weeks after it happened, but I'll add pics soon.

August 19: adding pics.


 Hotel room

 View from hotel room (looking south). RR station was just west of the hotel.

 Crypt at St. Emmeram. St. Wolfgang's relics are under the altar.
 Neupfarrkirche ("new" parish church)
 View northeasterly across Neupfarrplatz toward cathedral
 Former police headquarters, east of Neupfarrkirche
 Tandlerstrasse, where my s-i-l's hotel was
 Nave of Cathedral
 Western windows
 Annunciation altar
 St. Peter window, one of the oldest in the cathedral
 Above, detail of new altar —St. Peter in boat with keys and fish
Below, St. Rupert altar
 Nave (partial), south portal, apse
 Statue of King Ludwig I of Bavaria, who supported completion of the towers
 Above, courtyard which includes Bischofhof Restaurant (to left), with part of tower remaining from romanesque cathedral  (upper right)
Below, corner of Roman fortifications
 Another view of corner frotificatons
 Roman portal (visible in right portion of earlier photo)
 Plaque describing fortifications
Looking east along the south bank of the Danube, with medieval Stone Bridge in center

I strongly recommend clicking on the pictures to enlarge them for greater detail.

No comments: