Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snow — Blizzard of 2013 etc.



Here are some pics from my iPod, because my regular camera wouldn't turn on. I hope the quality isn't too bad.

First a couple from a light snowfall a few days ago. I like to have fun making patterns other than just straight lines, conditions permitting.

 
Looking up the street

Looking from the side door

Looking from across the street

Now for pics from the aftermath of the blizzard.

Back of the house

Between house and garage. The large pile in the foreground is from my plowman's work on the driveway. Hidden behind it, alongside the garage is an area about 6 ft. (or 2 m) wide — about half the distance to the back steps which the wind blew clear: the grass was glazed but visible.



The plowman shoveled the sidewalk from the driveway to the side door, and my good neighbors snowblew and shoveled the back steps and the area adjacent to them which the wind hadn't already done, but I still had to shovel the front walk because that's where the deliverer tosses the Boston Globe early in the morning. Just after I started, I decided I should get some pictures of how it looked before I finished the project. So that's when I took the two pics above and the next three.



Front of house, with shovel handle

Same from the middle of the street. I've only dug to the middle of the windrow left by the plowing.

Same, closer. As you can see, the wind scoured the roofs pretty well.

When I finished shoveling the walk — which took about 45 minutes, going at an easy pace, with frequent pauses of 10-15 seconds — I took the following pics from inside.

Kitchen window with snow on the storm window.

Front walk, with ice on the storm door — piles of snow from my efforts by the tree and to the left.

Then it was time to have a cup of malt-flavored Ovaltine.

Tomorrow, I'll have to cut a way through the windrow in front of the side door to provide access to the USPS letter carrier. It shouldn't take too long, since the walkway between it and the door has already been cleared, as I mentioned. I'm not sure if I'll also try to shovel the sidewalk along the street in front of my house.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first it looked like you didn't get it too badly. But WOW! There are times I am glad I live in the South.

Peace <3
Jay

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, naturgesetz

Thanks for posting this. As Jay said, Wow! I have seen snow on anything like this scale only a few times in my life: just once in England, in early 1979, and otherwise visiting southern Bavaria or the Czech Republic in winter.

Take care

Mark

MartininBroda said...

As I can see you have fulfilled your promise :)

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jay — I have a friend who lived on my street for a couple of years in the mid '50's. THen his father's job took the family elsewhere. He's now living in South Carolina, and he 's gloating about crocuses and daffodils on his property. Being in the South definitely has its advantages.

Mark — I guess the Gulf Stream "spoils" winters for you. I wouldn't mind if the heavy snow stayed in the mountains for skiers to enjoy.

That said, there was also something pleasant about having a good old-fashioned snowstorm.

Martin — Happy to oblige. :)