Monday, May 6, 2013
Change of Seasons
The winter activities (concerts, plays) have pretty much ended and summer ones are approaching. Major League Baseball has been going for over a month, which means I've been watching Boston Red Sox games on TV. The college level summer league which has a team nearby will play from June into early August. I blogged about them last fall. More precisely, I blogged about one of the players. He'll be back this summer, along with his older brother. The Yacht Club had its official opening day on the last Saturday of April. I'll be helping run the races beginning in June.
I went to Boston Symphony concerts on April 25 and May 2. The latter was the final program of the season. There's a bit about each of them on my music blog, here and here. And the Harvard Musical Association finished with a flourish. There was the evening I wrote about in my last post. That was Tuesday, April 23. There were two more social evenings, April 26 and May 1; and they brought a potentially interesting waiter development.
Waiter. On Friday the 26th, Wendy, the music-loving waitress at Scollay Square, introduced a new waiter, Blake. She said she was training him, so he'd be helping to serve. He's kinda cute. The following Wednesday, Wendy was working with a large cocktail party which had taken over half the restaurant, and Blake was my waiter. He did a good job and was very pleasant. Unfortunately, he didn't seem interested in my book, but I'm still hoping to have him as my waiter sometimes (Wendy other times) when the HMA resumes in the fall.
Injury (minor). On my way to the BSO concert May 2, I was walking up the escalator at the Government Center subway station. As I neared the top I heard the announcement that the train at the platform was for the line I needed, so I started to run. At the top I tripped and fell. Some people rushed to help me, and asked if I were okay. I said I was and that I had to catch that train, picked up my hat and ticket and got up, with a bit of help and got on the train. I had skinned my left knee, which was sore for a couple of days (and really hurt when I knelt down too quickly on Friday). I've had no discomfort since Friday. So unless it hastens the onset of arthritis, which runs in the family, there seem to be no lasting ill effects.
New Acquaintance. Friday evening, May 3, I went to a reception for the retiring president of the college where I spent a couple of years as a potential monk. He was one of my fellow monk wannabes at the time, and he stayed on. I didn't know many of the alumni there so after a while I was standing alone. A young man approached (Class of 2006) and struck up a conversation. We talked about various things for maybe an hour, and when I was ready to leave he expressed the hope that we'd meet at another alumni event. As he approached me, my gaydar registered, and during our conversation he had a slightly gay affect — not at all flamboyant, very subtle. Wishful thinking? He went to law school after college and passed the bar exam in 2009. Since then he has been working in the personal injury field. I was able to track him down on the internet and found him on facebook. It's one of these very private pages, but since he had expressed interest in seeing me again, I made a friend request. So far, no response. I'm not looking to hang out with him (unless maybe he wants to go to a baseball game sometime), but I'd like to keep in touch on FB.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment