I'll start the day by going to Mass at my parish church. Then I'll mostly be involved with preparing and setting up for the dinner.
First I'll prepare the bread stuffing (Pepperidge Farm mix, with some sauteed celery and onion added). When that's ready it goes into the bird and the bird goes into the oven. The giblets will cook in a double boiler. Then there should be time to set out mixed nuts and cheese and crackers, and maybe tortilla chips and dip, for the social hour. I'll peel and boil some potatoes and mash them with milk, a little butter and dried parsley. Hubbard squash will be peeled, cut up, boiled and then mashed with butter, honey, and nutmeg. When the turkey's done, I'll make gravy from the pan drippings, flour, the cooking water from the veggies and the giblets, with a bit of soy sauce, Tabasco, mild paprika, Bell's Poultry Seasoning, etc. (Since my brother doesn't eat giblets, I'll have them available on the side, rather than chopping them into the gravy) We'll also have cranberry sauce, which I'll make this evening; and I got some green olives stuffed with pimiento to go with celery on a relish plate (first time in years for the relish plate). For dessert it will be pumpkin pie and mince pie, with whipped cream to accompany the former and cheddar cheese for either; thin mints and chocolates will also be offered. I'll bake the pies this evening.
When I was a boy, all of the above would be part of the dinner. It would also have included creamed onions, sweet potatoes, steamed puddings with custard sauce and hard sauce, sometimes scalloped oysters, and sometimes potato stuffing in addition to the bread. You'll notice there are no green beans, no salad, in fact no green vegetables of any sort other than the relish plate. That's the tradition I learned, and I'm sticking with it. You can have your green vegetables 363 days per year, but not on Thanksgiving or Christmas.
To accompany it, I have several kinds of beer, whiskey, and rum for the social hour and merlot and Graves wines for the dinner. There will be coffee to go with dessert.
I guess it's about time to leave the computer and start cooking.

4 comments:
I'm going to have two tacos from Jack In The Box. That maker of quality food stays open 24-hours a day even during Christmas Day. I might have a smoothie for dessert. I will be thankful for the job that requires me to work on this day. I hope the storm won't cause too much disruption to your plans.
I hope you're having a good time.
In Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October but it is not an as big a holiday as in the USA.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs
Jon
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Steven — Having a job is certainly preferable to unemployment, although if they could give you Thanksgiving off, that would be nice. And thanks for the good wishes about the storm. As it happened, it didn't hit us where I am, so the day was good.
Jon — I wonder if the difference in timing of the holiday has anything to do with when cold weather arrives and harvests are complete.
Belated Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment