Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" and Other Doings

I started writing this on March 17, but got tied up with other things. Oh wee, maybe now there will be more to talk abot. We'll see as I go along.)

It's Last week was a big week for concert-going, which I'mve reportinged on my music blog. But in addition, I went last Friday on March 14 to a performance of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by the Bristol Old Vic from England. I've seen bits and pieces of the play before, and maybe the whole thing once about 30 years ago, but this was unusual in several ways. One was the lack of more than the most minimal scenery. Another was the element of puppetry. Hermia and Theseus became Titania and Oberon by holding masks at arm's length, and Oberon also used a large mechanical hand at the end of a pole (quite skillfully). And Bottom's transformation into an ass was accomplished, not by having him wear the animal's head but by putting oversized donkey ears on his feet, exposing his bottom (for the cheeks to be caressed) and having him wheel himself around the stage on some big contraption. I guess you had to be there. Anyway, it all made about as much sense as is possible for that play, and it got funnier as it went along, culminating with a hilarious "Pyramus and Thisbe."

We're having a mini holiday season, with St. Patrick's  and St. Joseph's days last week, and Annunciation this evening. I celebrated each properly by having dinner in a nice restaurant (and got a fair amount of reading done in my restaurant book, What the Dog Saw, by Malcolm Gladwell).

Tomorrow's Boston Symphony is not part of my subscriptions, but the Harvard Musical Associayion is having a "social evening" for the members, which, as always, includes a concert. I'll have my usual pre-concert dinner at Scollay Square Restaurant. On Friday, I have to go to Boston again for a performance of  Checkhov's "The Seagull" — not entirely sure whether I'l, have dinner at home afterwards, or somewhere in Boston before.

Lent is supposed to be a time of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving; and here I am spending money on nice dinners. Someone suggested that what people should do in Lent is match their restaurant tabs with charitable contributions. I just may do it.

2 comments:

BrightenedBoy said...

You shouldn't feel too guilty; I forgot about Lent period this year. I already have in mind what I'll be doing for 2015, though!

naturgesetz said...

Great that you already know what you'll do for next year. As you said in your latest post, you've had a lot to deal with these past few months, so you shouldn't feel guilty either. But you don't have to give up completely on Lent 2014. You can do something for the remaining three weeks if you feel like it (but don't try to make up for lost time).