Marian had planned to take the young nephew to a show in Crapaud titled "The Mermaid and the Droplets." It was a combination of dance and offstage voicing presenting the concept of the water cycle(s) — water to vapor to clouds to rain, rivers, oceans, underground aquifers. The concept came from a 4th grade class, and this was the last show of the second summer of performances. It was scheduled for 1:00, and since it was on the way to the bridge, I decided to go along.
So after Mass, I packed, while Marian had some activity to go to. We were to meet at Ed's at noon to pick up the nephew and head off to Crapaud. On the way to Ed's I stopped to fill up my gas tank. Then I thought of going downtown to get a hostess gift for Ed's wife Janice, but time was a bit tight, so I went straight to Ed's, arriving about 11:50. Marian was ready to leave immediately, because she was worried that the show would sell out (it didn't). It was performed by teenagers and was actually pretty good.
When the show was over, I left for Fredericton, NB — about a 3 hour drive. To prevent drowsiness, I stopped for a cola in Moncton, and got to Fredericton about 5:30. It's really a charming little city, and I recommend a visit to anyone traveling in New Brunswick. I decided to stay in the fancy hotel downtown. The exterior has been renovated and the lobby is modern, but the corridors are old-fashioned elegant, which I liked a lot.
On Friday, I got under way about 10:00 and reached the border about 11:15 (10:15 Eastern Time). I refueled in Bangor, had lunch at a McDonalds in Waterville, and as on Thursday, stopped for some caffeine and a break — in Kittery, ME. It didn't look practicable to get right back on Rte. I-95, so I drove via Rte. 1 across to Portsmouth, NH, and through the city to get back on the superhighway. Then I got home without further stops or incident, arriving home about 4:45. With the time zone difference, I had been on the road slightly under 8 hours (including breaks) and was pretty frazzled. Maybe that's why I forgot to put water in the pot when I started steaming the salmon. Eventually I realized, and put water in the pot for the second half of the cooking time. It was still good, if a little drier than usual.
There was a lot of time in transit for the actual time on the Island, and it ended up costing more for gas and food and lodging than I had imagined, but it was good to see the family and the shows. So I'm glad I made the trip, and I'd have liked to spend more time there if I hadn't had to get back for Race Committee duty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment