A few days ago a booklet of meditations for Lent quoted the account of the woman who brought a jar of spikenard and poured it all onto Jesus' head. (Mark 14:3) The booklet points out that spikenard was very valuable. "This is a story of extravagant giving." It asks the reader to consider, "Shall I be small-minded or large-minded in my giving this Lent? What would extravagant giving be for me?"
Several years ago, I encountered a panhandler on a street in Boston. During a brief conversation, I reached into my pocket and pulled out some money. I saw it was two dollars and decided not to give both dollars to him. I gave him one dollar and put the other back in my pocket. Afterwards, I asked myself why I hadn't given him the two. In fact, I decided to go back and give him the other dollar, but he was gone. By way of contrast, another time I was going with a friend to a play in Boston, and he stopped to give money to a panhandler and gave him five dollars. The two incidents showed me how far from generosity I was.
Maybe I've improved a bit. I generally try to have a supply of cash, including some five dollar bills as well as singles, to give to needy people on the street or in the subway. There's a man whom I've seen from time to time in the State Street station. He has a large old coffee cup and a cardboard sign that says, "Seeking human kindness." We exchange a few words of greeting, and I give him five dollars if I have it. But I'm still unwilling to give more than five dollars. If I have a ten in my pocket, I think I can't give that bill away. Why not? Why not even give somebody twenty?
Getting back to the question, "What would extravagant giving be for me?" I suppose twenty dollars to a needy person would be extravagant for me. What I thought of when I read that question, however, was something very different. It took me a couple of minutes to clarify my thought. I recently took a distribution from my IRA to pay my yacht club dues and reduce a couple of credit card balances. There is about $2,500 which is available for the credit cards. To take that money and give it to charities might be extravagant. Can I bring myself to do it, or am I still too stingy?
Monday, February 26, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This is a tough call. We have a natural impulse to give to those who say they're in need, but I'd legitimately wonder if handing out money in this instance would really be helping. I've made a general practice of not giving out money, but rather of buying food and giving directions to homeless shelters. Well-intentioned charity can sometimes feed something really toxic, like a drug addiction or alcohol abuse.
Buying food and giving directions to shelters can be good ways of helping, but they require having time to go shopping or knowing where the shelters are. Often my encounters are in subways or when I'm going to a concert and have little time.
More generally, though, I've decided, wisely or not, not to worry about what the other person will do with the money. I take them at their word that they need the money.
It happened that last Wednesday evening I went to dinner at a restaurant in Shoe City, and as I was walking back to my car I saw a young man approaching. After he had gone by me, he asked if I could give him some money, indicating that he was hungry. At some point he specifically mentioned the amount of a dollar. Meanwhile, knowing that all I had in my pants pocket was a single dollar bill, I said I didn't have much. I fished out the dollar and gave it to him. As I took the few remaining steps to my car, it occurred to me that I had recently been to the ATM and had a ten (and several twentys) in my pocket calendar and could give him the ten, but I quickly decided not to.
I've been reproaching myself for that decision. Evangelicals sometmes say, "The Lord told me to do such and such." Catholics generally don't, but we believe that the Holy Spirit guides us, inspiring to do good and refrain from sin. In effect, that's the same as the Lord telling us to do something. We may think our good impulses are our own, but I think it more likely that they come from the Holy Spirit. And thus I'm inclined to believe that the Holy Spirit gave me the thought of giving the $10 to the guy. Later I realized that there was a gas station which also sells fast food across he street. If I had given him the money, I might have thought about it then. So I think this may well have been an instance of failing to do something for Jesus by failing to do it for the least of his brothers.
I'm not saying that I know that is the case. It's just how I'm thinking about it at this point. It's certainly possible that he would have misspent the money. It's certainly possible that your approach is better than mine. I think what is important is that we are willing to help in some way.
Post a Comment