Three years ago, on the 4th Sunday of Easter, I posted an overview of "Good Shepherd Sunday" and the readings assigned for the Mass. I think it's still worth reading, and I invite you to do so. Beyond that, I want to share some of what I heard via livestream from St. Anselm Abbey this morning. Fr. Mathias, O.S.B, gave the homily at the monks' Mass. In it he mentioned the Mass as the place where Jesus is shepherd and gate. We hear his voice in the scriptures, and through him we come to the pasture where we are fed.
The pasture has a deeper dimension than we generally realize, and Fr. Mathias illustrated it with a quote from Scott Hahn. As an Evangelical, Scott snuck into a Catholic Mass to see what went on. He was amazed to hear all the scripture quoted, not just in the readings but at other points. It culminated for him when the congregation addressed Jesus three times as "Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world." He knew that the Book of Revelation calls Jesus "the Lamb 28 times. Then the priest held up the Host and said, "Behold the Lamb of God," and he realized that this was equivalent to the scene in Revelation 4-8. He wanted to jump up and shout, "Do you people know where you are? You're in Heaven right now!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment