Friday, March 6, 2009

World War II — Muggeridge's Take

I've mentioned the book by Malcolm Muggeridge that I've been reading when eating alone in a restaurant: "a third testament" with chapters on various notable Christian thinkers. Last Friday I finished reading it and offered it to Seth the waiter, who graciously declined the offer.

The final chapter of the book is on Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German pastor who was executed by the Nazis shortly before the end of WWII. At the conclusion of the chapter, Muggeridge writes:

Looking back now across the years, I ask myself where in that murky darkness any light shines. Not among the Nazis, certainly, nor among the liberators, who, as we now know, were to liberate no one and nothing. The rhetoric and the cant have mercifully been forgotten. What lives on is the memory of a man who dies, not on behalf of freedom or democracy or a steadily rising Gross National Product, nor for any of the twentieth century's counterfeit hopes and desires, but on behalf of a Cross on which another man died two thousand years before. As on that previous occasion on Golgotha, so amidst the rubble and desolation of "liberated" Europe, the only victor is the man who died, as the only hope for the future lies in his triumph over death. There can never be any other victory or any other hope.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonnhoeffers book "Cost of Discipleship"is one the most inspiring books I have read. I believe it should be studied s much as the bible if one really wants to walk with Christ.

Anonymous said...

Muggeridge gave an excellent epitaph to Bonnhoefers life.

naturgesetz said...

I thought the contrast Muggeridge makes between the material values of the postwar world and the eternal values of Christ was especially powerful in the light of the current state of the economy — although it's always a good point.

Ryan said...

what a fool turn down your offer. i love history and ww2 and the civil war. i watch the history channel alot so i can see all that happen back then.

naturgesetz said...

Ryan — One thing is, I'm pretty sure Seth is Jewish, and from what I had told him, he knew that the book is written from a Christian perspective, just like the part I quoted. So that may have dampened his interest.

MartininBroda said...

Remarkable opinion, I have taken "Nachfolge" from my bookcase will read it again.