Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Income Tax

Usually I file my returns (meaning the forms — you Brits use the word "return" when you mean "refund") early — "early" defined as "before noon on the due date."

Well I missed being early this year, but soon I'll get started, and I hope to be finished timely (or else to be owed refunds so that there will be no penalty for being late). I have both a federal return and a state one to do. The state form depends on information from the federal, so I'll do the federal first.

6 comments:

Peter said...

Have fun!

;)

Anonymous said...

Yes - we have to make a 'return' here in Britland.

Pete and I now do ours online.

Xtra excitement and fun!

Anonymous said...

I remember April 15 being the dreaded date in the US. I believe post offices stay open later than usual for the last-minute filers. My mate and I earned a bit of money running the forms to the post office for cars stuck in traffic trying to get to the post office. We charged two dollars each. We made a killing. I guess we looked trustworthy enough.

Anonymous said...

Have a good time there. I think I deposited my check a couple weeks ago?

cvn70 said...

NG

should be a piece of cake, you file the EZ i hope

i always wait until today to put he check in the mail myself, but i am sure you will have a refund or i hope so

take care and be safe

bob

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for all the comments.

I managed to do a quick run through my 1040, Sch A, and Sch B. I know what the bottom lines of C-EZ and D will be (and not enough on the C-EZ to require an SE).
Fortunately, my taxable income is way down from last year, and I'll be getting a hefty federal refund. A glance at the Massachusetts tax table tells me that I'm also overpaid there. So I won't be penalized for being a little bit late actually filing the things.

I *should* be able to complete them tomorrow (if I can tear myself away from blogging long enough). Then in the evening, I'll go to Boston for a concert.