It may seem extravagant, but five years ago, when my mother died, we told this cousin on a Sunday evening. They and their youngest son got in their car and drove from just East of Pueblo the my home near Boston in time to arrive during the wake on Tuesday evening. (I don't think they could have afforded plane tickets.) That was over 2000 miles and 33 hours of driving. If they took 8 hours to sleep along the way, they'd have had to leave at about 2 a.m. on Monday. Each hour later leaving is an hour less to rest.
And now, I've got a cousin from PEI due to arrive Tuesday evening, and I've got to tidy up the mess before she gets here (in addition to my routine activities). So again, you may not see much of me for a while. But I'll post and comment when I have time to stop and draw a breath.

6 comments:
It is great you keep this contact with your relatives. At my brother's recent wedding, I realised that some cousins I haven't seen for over 20 years. We all agreed that we will have to do something to see each other also outside of the funerals and weddings. As a first step two cousins were put in charge to organise a cousin reunion.
I'm feeling sad right now because of Scruffy's death. And reading about a funeral just adds to the pain.
You have good people around you. People who care about other people. That's more than I can say about my life and the people around me.
I'm glad you have some decent family ties to keep in touch with. Sorry to hear about the loss. Hope everything goes ok with your visiting cousin and etc.
*hugs*
Thanks for the comments, guys.
@ Mr. Urs — The contact is a fairly recent development. It actually got this strong only when my mother died. I'll have to post about it sometime. But the short story is that we hadn't been close until then (not that it was my mother's doing, just that the funeral brought us together).
@ Davis DelaCruz —I'm sorry to have added to your pain. Sinforosa had a good life, and her death was not too difficult. Her children and grandchildren will miss her, of course, but I'm sure that they realize that her life was truly complete.
You can look forward to a life with many caring and loving people in it. If the people in your life now aren't everything you could want, hang in there, and look forward to the many people you will meet as your path in life leads onward after high school.Some will be unpleasant, but many will be really good.
You're going through a lot right now, but it will not always be like this.
*hugs*
@ Seth — The cousin decided to rearrange her plans, and got here 4 1/2 hours ago — Monday evening rather than Tuesday. I didn't have the place as tidy as I had hoped, but it's a vast improvement on last week. And the early arrival means they are planning to leave in time for me to get to the symphony concert on Thursday which is part of my subscription.
She is a jovial person, and her traveling companion also seems very pleasant. So I'm expecting a comfortable visit.
You know how much your comments are welcome and appreciated, sometimes they are even a cause for a recipe (http://gomad-ch.blogspot.com/2009/10/apple-waie.html).
Best wishes.
It's good that you and your family so out of your way to be there for each other. Being able to count on that supportive presence is very comforting.
Post a Comment