I want to wish all my American readers a very Happy Thanksgiving day. However you celebrate it, or not, I hope you can see many good things in your lives, whether they are special to you or part of being in this world. And I hope you can be grateful to Nature's God (as Jefferson put it) for giving us all the good that exists.
It's going to be a busy time for me. I've baked the pies, but tomorrow, after I get home from Mass, I've got to clean all the dirty pots and pans sitting in the kitchen make the stuffing, stuff and roast the turkey, make the cranberry sauce, boil and mash the potatoes, bake the sweet potatoes in the microwave, cook the giblets, make the gravy, and clear the dining room table of the stacks of accumulated mail. On Friday, I'll be going to a symphony concert in the afternoon, and to dinner with friends thirty miles away in the evening.
So if I'm not commenting as much as you're used to, that's the reason.
Have a great day and weekend, everybody!
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Have a Great Thanksgiving Oh fine American blogger!
Life just wouldn't be the same if we were to agree about everything.
if you accept the Catholic teaching about homosexuality answer me if Homosexuality is a sin?
Don't fool yourselves! No one who is immoral or worships idols or is unfaithful in marriage or is a pervert or behaves like a homosexual 10will share in God's kingdom. Neither will any thief or greedy person or drunkard or anyone who curses and cheats others. 11Some of you used to be like that. But now the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and the power of God's Spirit have washed you and made you holy and acceptable to God. 1 Corinthians 6
6
http://www.vidahumana.org/english/family/homosex-bible.html
Thanks for all the comments.
@ Micky — I'm pleased at the extent to which we do agree, but wouldn't mind a bit more.
@ anonymous — the link in the 6:54 comment gives the distinctions necessary to answer the question in the 6:49 comment.
Perhaps you would want to take a look at what I say about the 1 Corinthians 6 passage in my series (still incomplete) about what St. Paul teaches. http://naturgesetz-takecourage.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-does-st-paul-say-no-2-1.html
As for Adolfo Castañeda"s article, linked in the 6:54 comment, I'd say it is strongest at the beginning. The basic moral principles governing personal conduct are clearly stated in the material from the Vatican which he quotes — as are the cautions concerning pastoral care and erroneous consciences. When we get to issues of public policy, we are in areas which are less directly connected to the basic moral principles and more questions of prudence. At this point, for example, it is at least arguable that if some form of domestic partnership or civil union had been permitted in the United States, we might well have avoided the court cases which have redefined marriage itself in several states. Also, I think he is too optimistic about the prospects for change in orientation and too confident that he knows the factor causing homosexuality. For example, I was certainly not exposed to sexual activity or stimuli during the years he considers crucial. So he starts very well, but then becomes uneven.
Post a Comment