Monday, November 15, 2010

Seth the Waiter et al.

On November 5, there was the first regular "social evening" at the Harvard Musical Association (meaning chamber music concert followed by a supper or refreshments), and as usual I went to the Scollay Square for dinner. Seth the Waiter was there this time and he greeted me cordially. There was also a new busboy, who was rather attractive and seemed more interested in doing his job than the one they had last winter (who looked like Dustin Pedroia, only taller).

I told Seth a bit about my trip to Germany and Ireland. He had driven a bit in New Zealand when he accompanied his sister there last winter, so he knew what it's like driving on the left. (I still have to tell you about the trip and maybe post some photos and links to other photos and videos. If I had more self-discipline and weren't such a procrastinator, maybe I'd have gotten to it by now.)

Seth asked about the book, as always. It was touching the holy, the same one I'd been reading at Petit Robert Central two weeks earlier. Seth expressed polite interest but wasn't as fascinated as the waitress there had been. He told me of a couple of books he was reading/had recently read: The Shadow of the Wind and Water for Elephants. Links are to New York Times reviews of the books. (With my recent trip to Ireland still in mind, I thought he said "Waterford Elephants." LOL He wrote the titles for me, because I knew I'd never remember them.) At some point he also made a passing mention of his girlfriend.

The busboy was reasonably attentive and smiled nicely as he removed the plates.

They used to have a hanger steak item on the menu, which got removed when they did their second round of going to less expensive items. But it was back as a special, and I had it. I think the sauce was different. This time it was a rather nondescript brown gravy, whereas previously it hadn't been thickened — more like a deglazing of the pan with red wine. Well, it was still a decent meal.

No comments: