Monday, May 16, 2011

Scott

Scott is, as noted in the previous post, my newest follower. He was courteous enough to e-mail me over the weekend with some information about his blog and about himself.

His blog is titled "Ruby's Hot Box," a title which he explains in one of his posts. It is a tribute to his beloved grandmother and implicitly to his grandfather as well. Read the post for the full story. He has just started blogging and has made only about six posts so far, so if you begin reading now, you can easily get caught up.

I've found the blog completely charming. In fact, I was thinking of titling this post "This Charming Man," but I was afraid that somebody might read some unintended meaning into it from the lyrics of the song, when all I mean is those words themselves.

You will rapidly learn that gardening is one of his major interests, and if you garden, I'm sure you'll enjoy comparing his methods with yours. But even if, like me, you don't garden, I think you'll be interested to read of his challenges and progress, and little incidents along the way.

But it's not all about gardening, as you'll also find if you read it.

Beyond what he's posted in the blog, in the e-mail he gave some further information, which he authorized me to share with you. He's now 41 years old, living in the Atlanta Metro area. He was raised as a Southern Baptist, but in college converted to the faith of his father's side of the family, Catholicism. He says, "Through a combination of my own inability to mesh being gay and Christian, and with negative outside influences against the Church, I fell away from a spirituality I once held dear and proudly proclaimed. Fast-forward 10-12 years, and I began to re-discover my spirituality, though outside the Church and independently." There have been ups and downs since then, and at this point he prays but is not a church-goer as of now. There is more to the story, but I'll leave it to him to provide any further details he wishes to, whether in a comment here or, as he indicates he might do, on his own blog.

Well this is a lot more than I'd have said if blogger had given me a link, because I try to keep my welcomig posts fairly short, especially when there are several people to greet, but I think a number of you (Martin and Ed come quickly to mind) will enjoy "meeting" Scott.

4 comments:

MartininBroda said...

Which Martin? but indeed, it's interesting to read :)

naturgesetz said...

Which Martin? You, MartininBroda. Who else?

Mister Ed said...

Not too many Eds around these days - the name has passed out of favor along with Cedric, Barnaby and Lionel, et al. - so I assumed you were referring to me. I checked out Scott's blog and plan to follow it.

Thanks for the referral, whether meant for me or not.

naturgesetz said...

You're welcome!