Books. Recently I've finished several books and have begun or am about to begin several others.
I finished Matterhorn a few days ago. It really makes me admire the soldiers who had to do the actual fighting in Viet Nam. They endured a lot. Now I've begun Kar Marlantes' second book, What It Is Like to Go to War, which is a more philosophical reflection on war and being a soldier. I've also begun Brideshead Revisited. I saw the series on TV years ago, but I never read the book.
For my table reading at home, I've finished How to Live -or- A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer, by Sarah Bakewell. It was a gift from my younger brother for my birthday or Christmas a year ago. For my next table reading, I've chosen The Book Thief, a novel about life under the Nazis during WWII, by Markus Zusak. The New York Times called it "the kind of book that can be life changing." Like my previous table reading, this was also a gift; my friend Zack sent it to me last month.
I also finished Outliers recently. It was my restaurant book. My next restaurant book is not another one by Gladwell — although I expect to get around to them in due course. But I've started Radio My Way by Ron Della Chiesa, the announcer on the broadcasts of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. He has had a long career in radio in Boston, including a couple of programs about jazz; and he has known a lot of the figures in jazz and popular music of the mid to late 20th Century, like Sinatra, and Tony Bennett.
Welcome New Followers. There are a couple of new followers of this blog since the last time I welcomed new ones. Meanwhile Monsters in the Closet has stopped following, and I see that blog has been removed.
First to join of the new followers is Edmund, who describes himself as "Catholic Englishman" and who titles his blog Faith and Fatherland. He comments on various happenings in contemporary British culture and posts relevant videos. It makes for interesting reading and viewing..
My newest follower is Jordan. He describes himself as "a happily single 30-year-old gay man" and "an ethical vegetarian." His journal type blog is titled Jordan Blogs. So far there are two posts, which give an interesting introduction and glimpse into his life. I think you'll enjoy reading.
So check them both out.
An der Grabstätte von Kronprinzessin Cecilie
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment