I've finished the first five chapters of Brideshead Revisited. As I began, I was recalling the beautiful BBC production of thirty years ago. And as I continue, images from that series continue to occur from time to time.
I read the account of Charles and Sebastian's first spring at Oxford and their summer at Brideshead and in Venice with a feeling akin to nostalgia, but for something I had never actually experienced. I suppose I wish I had been in such a friendship.* And as I continue reading, I find myself wishing that Charles had been able somehow to save the relationship.
But it occurs to me that the author does not share my wish, and perhaps not even my nostalgia. For this is not the story of Sebastian, nor even the story of Charles and Sebastian. It is the story of Charles Ryder, and if the love between him and Sebastian was necessary for Charles, it was also necessary, in Waugh's eyes, for the relationship to end.
When I was watching the TV series, my interest waned when Sebastian was no longer in the picture. Now, I think I can be more attentive to what Waugh wants to tell us through Charles' life.
When I was in my late 20' I was in love with a slightly younger alcoholic. He was straight, so there was no Charles and Sebastian relationship in our friendship, but there was in him some degree of the compulsion to escape from faith and family which Waugh gives Sebastian. I was happy to become acquainted with his family. Maybe he wasn't as pleased about it as I was.
* I don't mean that I wish that I had done things that are "high in the catalogue of grave sins," just that the intimacy of reciprocal love would have been pleasant. Indeed, one of the things that makes the time of Charles and Sebastian's friendship attractive is that no grave sins are actually mentioned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Dear Naturgesetz,
so you've started to re-read the novel, too?
I would like you to share your ideas on the blog, Martin, Ioann and I have opened.
Maybe you are interested?
KInd regards
Morgenländer
Dear Morgenländer —
Thanks for the invitation. I hadn't thought I'd have anything to contribute that would be at the level of what you three gentlemen can do. But if, after reading this post of mine, you would like my participation, I'm willing to make an effort.
But I must ask for a slight clarification. Is the concept of a Leserunde (or of this one anyway) that each participant makes a single contribution, or are participants expected to make multiple posts. The reason I ask is that since I haven't finished the book, it is too early for me to make a final comment on it. But I could rework some of the ideas contained here and make an interim post to your "Bridehead" blog.
Dear Naturgesetz,
I'm glad that you like the idea of contributing something to the blog.
Initially, we were planning to organize our posts around the structure of the novel, starting with the beginning, then the first part and so on.
But now everybody has just written down what came to his mind: ideas on the main topics of the novel, impressions, comments on the characters etc.
So, you should feel free to write whatever you like: a single commentary or a short series of posts.
I'm loooking forward to read your vcontribution.
Kind regards
Morgenländerr
PS: Could you, please, send me your e-mail-adress, so that I can invite you as an author of the blog. Thanks in advance.
Dear Morgenländer —
For e-mail, you can use naturgesetz@gmail.com or naturgesetz@comcast.net
Either should work.
I'm looking forward to making the Brideshead Leserunde blog bilingual.
Dear Naturgesetz,
thanks a lot!
I've just send you an invitation to contribute to the blog as an author.
Kind regards
Morgenländer
Hello, Naturgesetz!
I´ve sent you an invitation to contribute to the blog, but you have not yet confirmed the invitation.
Could you please check whether your received the invitation? I sent it to your gmail-account.
Thanks in advance and kind regards
Morgenländer
Hello Morgenländer,
Thanks for reminding me. When the invitation came, all in German, I was afraid I'd have to follow a set of instructions to activate my participation.
But now I clicked on the link in the invitation, and I instantly had the blog appear on my dashboard as one to which I can contribute. Now we'll see if I can think of anything worthwhile to say. It's obvious that you and the other participants think much more deeply about literature than I do.
Best regards,
Naturgesetz
Dear Naturgesetz,
I´m glad to hear that you are still interested to write about "Brideshead".
The more voices are heard at the blog, the more interesting it get's.
Just compare Mechtild's and my approach, for instance: Before I read her posts, I had not thought at all about the plants and flowers mentioned in the novel.
But reading the novel again, I realized that I had missed a very intriguing symbolism.
So, I´m looking forward to read your contribution, too.
Kind regards
Morgenländer
Post a Comment