On Wednesday, it started snowing where I live. I wanted to go to Boston to hear a talk by John Harbison on Bach's "St. Matthew Passion." (I'm going to hear a performance of the work on April 1.) If I get around to it, I might write something about the talk on my music blog. After the talk, which was from 5:00 to about 6:00, I planned to stay in Boston and attend a concert at 8:00 at the Harvard Musical Association.
Because it was snowing rather than raining, I decided not to take an umbrella. You can just brush the snow off when you get where you're going. The snow gradually changed to rain, and it was fairly windy (but not quite enough to blow my hat off). I had a 5-10 minute walk from the subway to the lecture hall, and another back. From the subway to the restaurant was no more than five minutes. Then a good 10 minutes from the restaurant to the HMA. When I got there, the house was dark. It was then that I checked the announcement and found that the concert is next Wednesday. So another ten minute walk back to the subway.
Usually when it's snowing, I walk with my head down and slightly hunched over. But yesterday, I walked fully upright, with my head held high, getting the snow and rain full in my face, and enjoying it.
I've blogged before about feeling good as I walked on a warm fall evening. This time there weren't a lot of other people passing by, but it occurred to me that I was about as joyful to be there as I had been on the earlier occasion. Creation is good, and God is good, and life is beautiful (if unpleasant sometimes).
An der Grabstätte von Kronprinzessin Cecilie
1 week ago

3 comments:
*smiles* and *hugs* :)
I really liked this post. I'm glad you can find beauty in those types of situations.
Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked it. One reason I thought it worth posting about is that it seemed to be an unusual reaction on my part. But on reflection, it's not the first time I've felt exhilarated at being somehow one with the elements on their power.
Post a Comment