Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Halifax — October 24, 2012

My first full day in Halifax dawned … I don't know exactly how, because I slept through my alarm. I've decided that it's just not loud enough when I'm in a deep sleep.

But I was still out of the hotel at about 10:15. Between me and the downtown lay the Halifax Citadel, to be taken. (Here are images, including several showing how the city and harbor extend below it.) I was there in good time for the 11:00 tour, which included a barracks room, a rifle shooting demonstration, the gunpowder magazine, the guard room and prison cell, and the firing of the noon cannon. Afterwards I strolled the ramparts, looked in at the orderly room and the tailor room and bought some post cards. All in all it was an interesting glimpse into 19th Century military life.
Barracks: 5 folding cots on each side; soldier's kit laid out on the opened cot

Rifle demonstration: reenactor of Highlander regiment, with winter trousers instead of kilt



Noon gun: cannon being prepared to fire, rolled into firing position, and secured after firing; reenactors represent an English cavalry unit

Orderly room: where the commanding officer conducted business


Tailor shop and tailor: each uniform was custom made for a proper fit

Outside the gate on the city and harbor side

At about 1:30 I started down, past the Town Clock, to the Grand Parade with St. Paul's Episcopal Church at one end, City Hall at the other, and monuments to the war dead and fallen peace officers on the grounds. Next I went to the waterfront, where I had lunch at Stayner's Wharf, followed by coffee at Tim Horton's. My next destination was Province House (which is the building where the provincial Legislative Assembly meets). On the grounds is a statue of Joseph Howe, whose trial in the 19th Century is credited with establishing freedom of the press in Canada.
War memorial: St, Paul's Church behind on right

Grand Parade: including memorials, and City Hall at north end
Province House

Joseph Howe Statue on the grounds of Province House

My next destination was Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor, who is the representative of the Queen in the Province. On Prince Edward Island and in New Brunswick I had taken tours of Government House, and I hoped one would be available there as well. I entered the grounds via a side gate, and went around into the spacious yard and took a couple of pictures and was approached (challenged, perhaps) by a Commissionaire. I stated my business and he huffily informed me that it was the residence of the Lieutenant (pronounced lefftenant) Governor, and not open to the public except on specified occasions. He escorted me back to the gate.


Government House: Commissionaire approaching in second photo


It was still about an hour before Mass time at St. Mary's Basilica Cathedral, so I snapped a couple of pictures of the statue of  Churchill on the library grounds one block uphill from the cathedral, then returned to the cathedral to wait for the 5:15 Mass. After that it was back uphill to the hotel, arriving at about 6:30.
St. Mary's Basilica Cathedral

Churchill Statue


As always, clicking on the pics enlarges them to show more detail.

Having been on my feet for most of the previous 8 hours, I didn't feel like going out again, so I had dinner in the hotel restaurant. It was definitely nouvelle cuisine. The curried tomato soup was good, as was the seared scallop main course, which included a braised beef short rib which was larger than all the scallops put together. Tasty though. And so to bed.

3 comments:

WARPed said...

Very interesting trip.

I initially thought the first photo was your hotel room...lol!

Did you get to see the 78th Highlanders perform?

:-)

-Andy

naturgesetz said...

LOL at the "hotel room." This was bigger. You can see one picture of the hotel room in my post about "Halifax — October 23."

I didn't see the 78th Highlanders perform as a unit — just the rifle demonstration and the two who were acting as sentries.

Your host said...

Great photos, nice sense of being there.