It's been a while since I posted, but there hasn't been much that was worth writing home about — mostly just the daily and weekly routines. We had a spell of warm weather when it was comfortable to be "clad in the draperies of Eden." The past few days have been rainy and windy.
A couple of weeks ago I took some pictures of the lilac bush outside my bedroom window. One of the customs the Junge Schar have in Rothenburg for the Pentecost Festival (and see other posts labeled Junge Schar or Rothenburg) is to put some lilac blossoms on their uniforms. So I always hope my lilac will bloom at that time, and this year the timing was perfect.
The spirea outside my kitchen, where it is sheltered and gets a fair amount of sun, began to bloom on a couple of sprigs right next to the window; and over the past couple of weeks it has come into full bloom. The one that's out in the open has just begun to flower in the past few days.
Maybe I'll get around to posting some pics next time. But the big news is that I'll be off the internet for a couple of weeks. I'm going to Japan. I'll fly from Boston on Monday at 11:00 a.m. and I'm due back at about 10:00 p.m. on Friday, June 7, just in time for the North Shore Navigators' home opener on the 8th. The purpose of the trip is for me to cat sit with my brother's cats while he and my sister-in-law go to Hawaii. The cats are brother and sister, ten years old, and recently given up by their former owner. They're kind of timid, and they were unhappy in the shelter where they were before my brother took them. So he doesn't want them to feel abandoned again — so much so that he and my s-i-l are paying 2/3 of my air fare. (The trip to Hawaii was planned and booked before he got the cats.) Maybe I can teach the cats some English while I'm there.
I'll arrive a few days before the folks head off to Hawaii, so there'll be some time for visiting, and maybe I can go downtown to see some Kabuki and other things. But once they're gone I'll probably stay within walking distance of the house (except when I head off via subway to Sunday Mass), and do a lot of reading and catch up on my accounts journal.
So bye for now; don't do anything I wouldn't do; and I'll see you when I get back.
An der Grabstätte von Kronprinzessin Cecilie
1 week ago

4 comments:
To be honest, this sounds a wee bit strange, but anyway, I hope the cats will honour your effort & well have a nice trip & a safe return.
My big brother thinks it's foolish, but everybody else I mentioned it to, while I was thinking about it, said, "Do it." Of course, they don't know what the situation is: a half hour or more by train to Shinjuku; another 20 minutes to the city center (Imperial Palace and Tokyo Station area); nobody who speaks English in the area where I'll be.
So, yeah, it is a little strange.
Maybe it's best to think of it as a solo vacation once the folks leave for Hawaii. I'll try to take a few pics to share.
Surely you will be setting a World Record for most miles traveled to per tit! Of course you must insist upon being paid at least the minimum hourly wage - which in Japan I believe is around $11.00 (US) per hour - and definitely, overtime is in order. :)
Actually, I think it is terrific that you are doing this. I hope the kitties will be appropriately appreciative.
Your brother and his wife are very caring people!
Heehee------ I meant "pet sit", not "per tit". I'm afraid my non-looking typing skill is in need of more practice!
Post a Comment