Earlier this week, my printer/copier/fax/scanner stopped printing because it was unable to self clean. The suggestions in the owner's manual failed to solve the problem, and I decided to buy a new machine rather than go to the trouble of sending the old one out for repair.
The new machine seemed to have just what I wanted. As the clerk was carrying it to the checkout register, there was a small boy facing us, about 20 feet away, who had pulled his pants down and was urinating on the carpeted floor.
When I got the machine home, I saw by the fine print, that it required Mac OS X 10.5.8 or higher. My OS was X 10.4.x. I had been thinking for a while that I should update. Maybe Safari would stop quitting once or more per day. So I went to the MAC store to get the latest OS, only to find that it wouldn't let me update from my early 2007 OS directly to Mountain Lion.
After some searching, I found that I could update from what I had to the Snow Leopard, OS X 10.6. I placed my order Thursday afternoon, and it was delivered in about 22 hours. I installed it last evening, and now I'm running on OS X 10.6.3
For my purposes, it doesn't seem much, if at all better than the old OS, so far anyway. But at least Safari hasn't quit on me. But there is one thing that is very annoying: it won't open g-mail using the standard format. It freezes about 7/8 of the way through. So I have to use the basic format. That would be only a very minor annoyance, except that the basic format gives no links for Google+ or my Google calendar. Although I haven't done much with Google+, I had recently started using a Google calendar to keep track of shows and concerts, both those for which I have tickets and those I might like to go to. When I managed to get into my google calendar, it seemed to use a basic format, rather than the standard one I had used to make my entries. It seems harder to work and it has no method for using colors to distinguish different categories of events.
It's especially annoying that g-mail tells me to update my browser to be able to access the standard format, but when I follow the links and click on Safari, there is page after page of description of Safari, but absolutely no place to go to get an updated version.
Next to hook up the printer.
An der Grabstätte von Kronprinzessin Cecilie
1 week ago

3 comments:
Sounds like a real pain. Keeping hardware and software current is getting to be really difficult. I've had similar issues with my laptop.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
As I mentioned in the following post, I've finally got the g-mail/google working as they had been, thanks to a software update.
Now there is another annoyance. Something called MacKeeper has been pestering me for months to let them clean up my computer so iut would work better. Only problem was that my OS was too old for them. Last night, I responded to their pitch, and they found 1098 items that needed to be fixed/deleted. So I clicked the buttons for them to go to it. They removed 54 and offered me the chance to buy their program to take care of the rest. I would have done so, but now they want me to have OS X 10.someting or later, and mine is a mere X 6.something.
I wish Apple wanted to support what they sell us instead of trying to force us to buy something new. How would it be if car companies refused to service or repair four year old models of their cars.?
Turns out I was wrong about MacKeeper. My OS is actually X 10.6.something, not X 6.something. So I was able to run the MacKeeper. We'll see if it actually makes the computer run faster, which is what they said would happen.
Post a Comment