Monday, September 2, 2013

A Visit from Family Members; Update on Updates


A Visit from Family Members  My sister-in-law arrived from Japan on Friday for a visit through Wednesday morning. My big brother (net her husband) met her at the airport. I hadn't completed all the tidying up I had had in mind, and she began to do some housecleaning — very embarrassingOn Sunday her son (my nephew) and his girlfriend arrived by train from New York. Although she calls herself a vegetarian, she said she would like to have lobster along with the rest of us, and she enjoyed it. She calls herself "a chill vegetarian," and apparently her motive is health, not an ethical concern about eating meat. They'll also be heading out on Wednesday morning. My brother will take them to train station and airport.

It's kinda fun having them here. Last evening, we played "Clue" — first time for me in 30-40 yrs.

With three additional people sharing the upstairs bathroom, I realized I needed a way to get the hot, humid air out of the room. I took the window fan from my room and put it in the bathroom window as an exhaust fan, plugged into the light by the sunk. When the light's on, so is the fan. Then I realized that it strained a bit when the door was closed, so I lowered the upper sash, so as the fan pushes the moist air out at the lower level, cooler air comes in at the upper level to replace it. (When I'm alone upstairs, of course, I can just leave the door open.


Update on Updates  My brother in Japan suggested that my nephew could help with the computer woes I talked about in my previous post. Meanwhile, once I finally got the printer working, I was annoyed to see nothing giving me the options to print only one or a limited number of pages of a multi-page document. Finally this morning, encouraged by a cryptic reference in the printer User's Guide, I decided to see what happened on an unlabeled button with a down arrow in the print dialogue box. That opened a larger box giving me the options which used to be in the first box that appeared. Does somebody think it's an improvement to have to jump through one more hoop to have those options available? Well, at least I solved that problem.

The Google/Safari problem remained. And for that I asked my nephew to help. An option on the Mac menu offers Software Updates. My nephew knew about that and suggested going there. Most of the updates were for applications I don't use, and there was nothing about Safari. But there was one for a general OS uupgrade. It had crossed my mind that it might help, but I wouldn't have tried it. He thought we should, so we did. When it was finished, I had a newer version of the Mac OS X 6, and it was able to run the standard format of gmail and let me access google+ and my g calendar in all its colorful splendor.

So for now I'm happy with the state of my computer and printer.

No comments: