Thursday, September 26, 2013

My Concert and Theater Plans for the 2013-2014 Season

I've been meaning to give a picture post showing some of the things I brought back from Japan last June. Sometime I should also get back to giving excerpts from the "Theology of the Body." But with the sailboat racing season over and the concert and theater season beginning, in my vanity I like to think you might find my plans for trekking in to Boston to attend a performance mildly interesting. So here it is, arranged by presenting organization.



Boston Symphony Orchestra   http://www.bso.org/

October 3,10,17,24, 31
November 7,14,21
January 9, 16*,23, 30
February 6, 20
March 6, 13, 18*, 20
April 3, 10, 24
* — Concerts which are not part of my subscription, but which I want to hear and will probably buy a ticket for.


 Arts Emerson   https://artsemerson.org/Online/default.asp

September 28   "Columbinus"
October 18   "Baritones Unbound"
November 6   "Waiting for Godot"
January 17   "We Are Proud to Present a Presentation about the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as South-West Africa, from the German Sudwestafrika, between the Years 1884-1915"
February 13   "Red-Eye to Havre de Grace"
March 14   "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
April 11   "Lebensraum (Habitat)"


Harvard Musical Association   (private)

October 11,25
November 8
December 6
January 10, 24
February 7, 21
March 7, 27
April 4, 18*, 25
* — Evening on which there will be a concert, but it's Good Friday, and I'll be in church, not there.


Huntington Theatre (sic) Company   http://www.huntingtontheatre.org/

October 23   "The Power of Duff"
December 5   "The Cocktail Hour"
March 26   "The Seagull"
April 23   "Becoming Cuba"(?)
May 29   "Smart People"*
* — I haven't purchased tickets for any of these yet, but they look worthwhile. I have "Flexpass" tickets available for plays and dates of my choosing. The dates selected are tentative.


I've included the url's for the public organizations so you can get more info about these performances, not just to satisfy your curiosity, but also so you can invite yourself to join me at one or another that might interest you. So if you live nearby or might be visiting Boston during the next seven months or so, let me know if something strikes your fancy.

Of course, my plans are subject to change, and I could well add a few things with other organizations (such as some operas), but that's how it looks at the moment.

2 comments:

Jon DeepBlue said...

Oh my! That's an impressive schedule.

I only have one concert in my plan this year: Marc-André Hamelin plays Lizst's 2nd with Kent Nagano at the Montreal Symphony next March.

Other than that, nothing much exept for some students' concerts at McGill or Université de Montréal. I guess I'v started to feel quite saturated and less motivated over the past few years.

naturgesetz said...

I became a member of the Harvard Musical Association a couple of years after my father died. He had been a member for a few years. I had also thought that when I retired, I'd start going to symphony, like my mother. I had to take care of her for a few years, and when she died, I began to subscribe, first seven concerts, then 12, now 18 or 19, plus occasional add-ons. So it has grown.

Then a few years ago, I started getting ads from the theater companies, and some of the plays sounded worthwhile. So far, though, I'm more selective about them.

The Hamelin/Nagano/Lizst should be well worth hearing.