Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Germany/Ireland — Sept. 09, 2010

On Thursday, September 9, I took the bus to and from Dublin, and learned that you can switch from the N2 highway — that goes from Monaghan and points north to Dublin — to the superior M1 motorway which links Dublin and Belfast. The switch is made at a point about a third of the way to Dublin, where they are about a mile apart. There is a bus about every hour from Monaghan to Dublin and back. The bus terminal is north of the River Liffey, and most of the tourist attractions are on the south side, but it was not a problem for me as it was not too long a walk to get across, and I was able to see plenty in five hours of walking around.

Before crossing the river, I wanted to see the GPO (General Post Office) which the rebels had seized in the Easter Rising against the British in 1916. Following a map, but with no real idea of what the GPO looks like, I first checked out a building which turned out to be St. Mary's (Catholic) Pro-Cathedral. It was almost time for Mass, so I stayed for that. Then I went a block farther and came to the GPO.

Here's the GPO, seen from across the street. There is a museum room, to the right of the main lobby, with items related to the Easter Rising.

From there it was only a short distance to the river and across. A couple of blocks from the river is the area called Temple Bar (which you can google) with interesting buildings and shops, restaurants, etc., appealing both to tourists and to students from nearby Trinity College. I strolled along westerly for a while, until I came to Christ Church Cathedral (Anglican). Then I retraced my steps for a block or so to Dublin Castle.

It is on the site of Norman fortfications and now houses the Dublin city government.

The round tower dates to the century,

Adjoining it is the 19th century chapel royal. Inside, around the gallery, are coats of arms of all the British Lord Lieutenants of Ireland. This and the previous picture are from outside, on the southern side.

Here's a picture from inside.




Leaving Dublin Castle I walked several blocks to St. Stephen's Green, and thence a block to Leinster House, the seat of the Irish Parliament (Oireachtas). I had hoped to see it, but there was no admittance without a pass, which was obtainable at the U.S. Embassy, but I hadn't time for that.

I walked a block further and came to Trinity College. This is an interior courtyard, with the library on the far side

The old library has the Book of Kells on exhibit, and I popped in for a look. Very interesting. There is a lot more about mediæval bookmaking in addition to the souvenir shop and lots of books in the stacks and reading room. A closer view of the library, showing the area which houses the souvenir shop.

From there I headed back across the river to the bus station and caught a bus for Monaghan. The buses were very comfortable — motorcoaches, as they say, rather than the sort of thing you get for local transportation.

I don't have any links to post. but if anything interests you, I'm sure wiki will have an article, and google will offer that and further information about the city in general as well as specific locations

3 comments:

the immigayrant said...

Beautiful!

R. Burnett Baker said...

Such an interesting post! More and more I appreciate BOOKS. You know. REAL ones. Not these e-Readers, Literattis, Nooks, cooks, and crooks! They're evil.

The book exhibit you mention should be something that libraries, museums, and galleries offer the public regularly, especially the younger generations. We risk losing so much if print publishing were to ever go away.

Rick

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the comments.

the immigayrant — Dublin is an attractive city, at least what I saw of it. I'm sorry I didn't take more pictures, but I suppose there are lots available online.

Rick — Seeing how the manuscripts were made was interesting. Some people did the lettering; others did the coloring. The experts can actually identify some of the scribes. Of course printing made books so much more widely available — the beginning of the information revolution. There is a lot to be said for having a physical copy of a book.