Saturday, June 11, 2011

Theology of the Body — 2011/06/10

"The Greek word for romantic love is eros. …[I]t has trickled down into everyday language — for example, when we call something 'erotic.' This word does not appear in the [Greek texts of the] Bible. …

"The Bible speaks of ethos — the condition of the heart with regard to what is true and good — but not eros. In everyday speech, we often hear eros equated with lust. If what is erotic is always lustful, then Jesus would condemn eros along with lust. But is that the case?

"According to Plato, eros is a force within us drawing us toward the good, the beautiful, and the true. … Though the word isn't used, eros is present in Genesis — in the call to become one flesh. … When romantic love is channeled to this end [the communion of persons], it is deeply connected to ethos — what is good and right in God's eyes.

"In this light, eros is not the same as lust. Lust strains not for the beautiful and the good, but for the possession of a person for his or her sexual value. Especially in the Platonic sense, eros strives towards selfless love.

"Jesus doesn't condemn the heart or romantic love. … His call to overcome lust is a call to embrace the good, the beautiful, and the true — eros rightly understood. …

"Only when our hearts are free can we know the true joy of eros. Passion (eros) and purity (ethos) are not opposed to one another. Instead they are called to meet and bear fruit in the human heart. Christ's words are not exclusively a prohibition. They are a call to experience the fullness of erotic love."

Just a reminder: when I post things, whether it's on Theology of the Body or any other topic, of course I hope you'll find it interesting and worth reading. But I also welcome questions and discussion.

3 comments:

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

that's a good thing to think about and a nice clarification...

nice!

JJRod'z

naturgesetz said...

I agree. I think a lot of people think that any appreciation of the physical beauty of another is lust, and therefore sinful. And so they try to repress those feelings. I'm afraid I tended to do that for a long time. So I'm really glad to have this clarification.

Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is Fran, I see your comments at the Deacon's Bench a lot. I am at work and not in my own google id. I had no idea that you had a blog.

I will be back to read more when I am home!