Tuesday evening here's what I did.
Four boneless chicken thighs, pepper, Bell's Poultry Seasoning, mild paprika
I unrolled the thighs so they'd cook better and seasoned them on both sides. Sometimes I get thighs with the bones, and sometimes with the skin too. I use chicken thighs because I prefer the taste and texture of thigh meat, but you can certainly use breast meat if you prefer. It isn't easy to find the right quantity for one serving in the market, so I generally get enough for two meals. (For my appetite, I like about 8-10 oz./225-275g.)
This was the first time I used Bell's Poultry Seasoning. Previously I've used tarragon, thyme, rosemary, or other herbs.
Mushrooms, Beau Monde Seasoning, condensed cream of mushroom soup, hot paprika
Usually I combine the soup with whatever spices come to mind. Then I heat it and stir in 1/2 can of milk. This time, the milk smelled a little sour, so I used half and half instead. Sometimes I use cream of celery (with dill) or cream of asparagus (with marjoram); I've also used cream of shrimp (with chervil) and tomato(with basil), and I'm thinking of trying a condensed cheese soup. Often I add a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
Chopped carrots and celery
I chopped enough celery and carrots (and mushrooms) for two meals.
Seasoned chicken in greased baking dish
I put it smooth side down to promote cooking by maximizing the area of contact between chicken and baking dish.
Chopped vegetables sprinkled over the chicken
Often there are gaps between the chicken pieces. The chopped veggies help fill in the gaps so the sauce will cover the chicken so it stays moist.
Sauce spread over all — ready to cover and bake
I make sure there are no holes, or gaps between the sauce and the sides of the dish. As it heats, it flows down. Beau Monde sprinkled on top because I forgot to stir it in while I was heating the sauce.
Finished, bubbly
Plated, with rice pilaf — sauce on pilaf as well
The remaining half will be my dinner when I get home from symphony this evening. I've finished the rice, so tonight I think I'll put it on rotini or toast points.
This method also works with pork. Use whatever seasonings, herbs, and spices you feel like.

No comments:
Post a Comment