Veal marsala is actually one of the simplest things in my repertoire of things I do without a cookbook: season veal on both sides with salt and pepper and coat with flour; brown veal in oil in a skillet (3-5 min. per side); add butter to skillet; add marsala (not to cover the veal); add mushrooms; cover, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes; turn veal; simmer covered another 10 muinutes. Done.
You could also substitute chicken (breast or "tenders"), turkey or pork for the veal. Even beef or lamb might work, but their flavor is not so delicate, so I'm not sure. The main thing is to have moderately thin pieces of meat.
Here's what it looks like.
Veal, on a piece of wax paper sprinkled first with flour, then pepper, then a little salt.
Next I season the top and sprinkle with flour. Often, as this time, I also use mild paprika and Beau Monde Seasoning. Then I slide it around, on both sides, to distribute the flour evenly.
Veal, seasoned and floured, ready to brown.
Mushrooms, first wiped with a damp paper towel, then cut up. You can slice them any way and size you want.
Veal browning on one side, then the other.
You'll notice that they have contracted as they browned. It makes sense to have them cover the bottom of the pan when you start (or even go somewhat up the sides) so that you will not need too much liquid to cover the bottom for the mushrooms.
Butter, marsala, and mushrooms added.
Veal and rice pilaf
Sauce poured over veal and part of the rice. Peas. Ready to eat, accompanied by a glass of Egri Bikavér.
For this meal I had about 1/2 lb./220g of veal and 3 1/2 oz./100g of mushrooms. I added about 2 tbs./30g of butter. I didn't measure the marsala, just eyeballed it, but I guess it was over 1/2 cup but not more than a cup (125-250 ml). As on other occasions I used 1/3 of the rice pilaf from a package, and I cooked 91-92g of frozen peas (just over 3 oz.).
Usually I find that the liquid reduces to a very nice sauce during the simmering. Occasionally it is too dry, and I have to add some water to get a good consistency. This time it was too thin, so after I removed the veal, I boiled it, stirring constantly for a couple of minutes until it had thickened. If you haven't made sauces before, one thing to have in mind is that they become a bit thicker as they cool, so there's a bit of guesswork involved. but as long as it's something you can spoon over the veal, it's okay.
Also, you can season it as much or as little as you want and add herbs like chervil or parley to taste. I'm tempted to use hot paprika at times, but I generally resist that, because it's best when the flavors of the mushrooms, marsala, and veal aren't overpowered by pepper of other hot spices.
I'm afraid I may have made it sound more complicated than it is, but it's really simple. Season and flour the veal. Brown it. Add butter, marsala, and mushrooms. Simmer, covered for 20 min., turning the veal halfway through. Everything else I've said is window dressing.
Enjoy!

5 comments:
I haven't had fresh veal in many years - only those frozen breaded cardboard kinds maybe five years ago.
I really like veal - just haven't thought about it. Your recipe is easy and the color combo on the plate is beautiful - makes me want to try it. I think I'd go for parsley potatoes instead of the rice.
Next time I'm at the supermarket I'll check the veal out - if I don't pass out looking at the price I might buy some.
I would have enjoyed this had it not had meat in it, which I do suppose rather defeats the object of the dish! Oh well, cant all like that same things in life.
Yum again.
But what about the "humane" aspect of veal production? Is this a consideration?
Seems like the veal suffer more than the flounder.
:-)
-Andy
Thanks for the comments, guys. Sorry to be so slow in responding.
@ Mister Ed — As with other meats, the price depends on the cut, but I'd say it's comparable to good steaks.
@ Jason — Definitely not a dish for the vegetarian or vegan. I'm not sure if it would work with some of the meat substitutes people use — eggplant (aubergine), portabella mushrooms — or firm tofu.
Oops: hit publish by accident.
@ Andy — The way I deal with the humaneness issue is to tell myself that all these years after the issue was raised, conditions must have improved.
Post a Comment