Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Some of us are fathers; some may become fathers; and we all have or had fathers — and our memories of those fathers may be good or bad. And then there are those who act in ways that are comparable to fathers — mentors and leaders.

I want to wish all fathers and future fathers a happy day today, and may you perform your parenting role well.

And I hope we can hold on to our good memories of our fathers and let go of the bad ones but learn from them all how to act and how not to act as fathers or in fatherlike dealings with others.

Happy Father's Day everybody!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put! I agree completely!

cvn70 said...

NG

very nice words for thought today hope all is well

take care and be safe

bob

Baz said...

Echo James totally.

I have only very fond memories of my father, a very caring and compassionate man. The only regret being a lack of physical contact - hugs & cuddles. Maybe, as i'm not that many years younger than you, it was a function of that generation?

Mark said...

Honestly, I'm kind of glad that Father's Day is almost over.

Planetx_123 said...

I was lucky to have an excellent father. He was an amazingly calm person, who was very deliberate and rational in his actions. He was a wonderful compliment to my uber-motivated, relentless, perfectionist mother. I think I have a nice balance of both of their personalities. I miss him so much. Everyday, I wish I could speak with him again-- even just once-- even if it was just the mundane stuff. It's really a shame, because he was such a nice, kind hearted man who took care of his body. He exercised regularly, ate well, and it didn't matter-- he still died at 66 years old from a massive heart attack that was never predicted by anyone. Quite a loss.

Thanks for your post-- Im ready for this day to end as well.

Steve

Mirrorboy said...

Not all of us had fathers.

But yeah, nicely put.

loves

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the kind words.

@ Baz — It may be generational. I don't recall being kissed by my parents, except by mother when I was going away to college or on a trip. Same for hugging. It may also be ethnic. Dad was of English descent; Mom's ancestry was Irish. I get the impression Italians were more given to physical expressions of love.

@ Mark — We never made a really big deal of Father's Day. I guess it hadn't been big to my parents growing up in the 1910's -20's. And my dad's birthday was June 24 and Mom's May 6, so we had those as major celebrations. But I figured I'd make a nod to the day.

@ Steve — My dad had been experiencing some arrythmias, but it was still unexpected (by us) when he died of a heart attack at 68 in 1977. We weren't close, and it may be more his doing than mine (see my comment to Baz), but if I had a chance to do it over, knowing what I know now, maybe I could do better.

@ Mirrorboy — You make a good point. Of course, biologically we all had fathers, or we wouldn't be here, but when they weren't ever part of your life and you have no memories, good or bad, the day doesn't mean much.