I've been to Fulda twice and both times visited his tomb in the cathedral and prayed for Germany. It's a pleasant enough city.
An der Grabstätte von Kronprinzessin Cecilie
1 week ago
Pope Francis gets it right. We must never presume to judge the state of someone else's soul but we should always show God's love.Personally, I am basically asexual although my attractions are homosexual. I offer my story and my views for purposes of discussion and I hope to be thought-provoking, respectful, and illuminating and so to be helpful to you on your way.
10 comments:
First I thought "what, that day was in May", but I confused him with another Boniface and that one was obviously dropped out of the calendar a while ago. Thanks for the update.
Oops Joe, today is only the day, when St. Bonifatius was killed by the frisians. His actual day is in late may.Read the catholic calendar online for Namedays, given rememberance, high feasts of the church et. alt. Propz Pilgrm
Sorry Pilgrim, but the General Roman Calendar printed in the Sacramentary of the Roman Missal (in the English translation approved by the Congregation for Divine Worship on March 26, 1970) shows on p. 74* for June 5, "Boniface, bishop and martyr."
In the "Kleines Stundenbuch" volume for "Die Gedenktage der Heiligen," there is "Der Regionalkalender für das deutsche Sprachgebiet," which lists, on p. 17, "Juni … 5 G* Bonifatius, Bischof, Glaubensbote in Deutschland, Märtyrer (754)" And the
"Schott-Meßbuch für die Wochentage" shows the liturgical celebration of St. Boniface on June 5 in exactly the same way.
None of these show anything for St. Boniface in May.
See also http://www.usccb.org/nab/saints/todaysaint.shtml
I decided to go back and see if Boniface had formerly had his feast day in May. In a missal I got in 1952, Boniface, bishop and martyr is celebrated on June 5. But there is another St. Boniface, a Roman who was martyred early in the fourth century. His feast, no longer included in the General Roman Calendar was on May 14. That must have been the source of your confusion.
So might it be in America, but I know for sure, this St. Bonifatius has his day in Germany in en of may, two days ahead of Sta. Sophia as one of the "Eisheiligen".
My dear brothers in Christ, although I’m not catholic, but German, today is his day.
“The church, particularly the Church in Germany, commemorate on June 5th 2004 that day in June 1250 years ago St. Boniface has suffered the martyrdom.” Pope John Paul II.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/letters/2004/documents/hf_jp-ii_let_20040607_san-bonifacio_ge.html
@ Joe Respect for your prayers in Fulda.
P.S., the "Eisheiligen" are Mamertus, Pankratius, Seervatius, Boniifatius and the so called "kalte" Sophie. My late grandma teached us kids these days, even though she was lutheran. :-)
Sorry Pilgrim, could it be indeed you mean Bonifatius of Tarsus (May 14), so you were both right, somehow.
My late garndma was the only native german in my immediate family, so she knew. Martin, you might be right, but the "Eisheiliger" St. Bonifatius was actually from England.
Sorry, Martin and Joe, I just googled Sait of the day, and today is a given feast in honor of St. Boniface, apostle of the germans and martyr.
Alles klar.
Footnote: St. Pancras (= Pancratius) has an optional memorial on May 12.
Post a Comment