Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Independence Day

July 4, the national holiday of the United States, when the Continental Congress adopted the actual text of the Declaration of Independence, having decided two days earlier to make such a declaration.


In my town, the bells of the town hall and churches are rung for 1/2 hour at 7:30,a.m., noon, and 5:00 p.m., and there is a "horribles parade" in which children dress up in patriotic, topical, or grotesque costumes.

I'll be having the traditional salmon and peas for lunch, and some "barbecued" spareribs for dinner (sprinkled with a pork rub, covered with barbecue sauce, and baked for an hour in a covered dish) with home baked apple pie for dessert.

4 comments:

Mr. Urs said...

My immediate association with the independence of the U.S. of A. is Steve McQueen's role in The Great Escape. It's a spirit that can not be constrained.

Anonymous said...

:) Save some of that food for me! >_<

MartininBroda said...

Happy Independence Day, Germans are allowed to wish that too I guess, I hope it’s a pleasant day for you.

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the comments and good wishes.

It was a good day, partly just because after weeks of cloudy and rainy weather, the sun was shining and the temperature got above 70F.

I was able to view our town's fireworks display from the park near my home (just one street and one house between it and me).