Thursday, July 16, 2009

What Does St. Paul Say — No. 2: Romans 1:27

Here's the next bit of my take on Romans. I'll have at least one more post on Romans, in which I'll look beyond the words of the verses themselves to things in scripture beyond St. Paul's writings specifically on homosexuality. I think these other passages will help us interpret these verses from St. Paul. But for now, here's something on Romans 1:27 by itself.

Romans 1:27

"[A]nd the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error." The phrase translated "natural relations" is the same as in the preceding verse. Here natural relations are specified as being "with women."  I see the phrase "with women" as clarifiying Paul's understanding. To him, "natural relations" are heterosexual. The same question as to what is natural applies as in the previous verse: is this only because he is unaware of homosexuality as an orientation? Would he have been equally against homosexually oriented men giving up "natural relations" with men, as some have suggested? And in any event, is that how we should understand the verse in the light of modern psychology? In addition to what I said about the question in discussing verse 26, there is more to be said.

In the first place, there seems to be consensus that sexual orientation is a continuum. So if it is agreed that the verse applies to heterosexual men, what are we to say of men who are 90% hetero, or in the middle, or 80% gay? When does heterosexuality stop becoming natural and get replaced by homosexuality? If both are natural for someone who is in the middle of the scale, where does one or the other stop being natural? Or is there no single natural for anybody? That seems to be the necessary conclusion, as I cannot find a point at which one could reasonably say that one stops being natural and the others starts. So what somebody is doing is natural at that moment even if it is only expressing 5% of their sexuality. But in that case, the verse is empty. To me it seems that to find it meaningless is unacceptable for someone who believes that scripture is in a meaningful sense, the word of God, which is the premise of caring about what it says.

Then there is the phrase about "committing shameless acts." Other translations use other adjectives such as "indecent," "filthy," or "shameful." But the meaning is substantially the same. The commentators I'm aware of explain this as a case of Paul accepting the culture of his time, which regarded the receiving position in anal intercourse as unfit and degrading for one who was socially superior to the other party. In Stoic thinking, Byrne says, "The 'reduction' of the male to the female [role] constituted a 'shame' contrary to nature." I think it's reasonable, if not inescapable, that a Christian must not cause someone else to commit shameful acts any more than he should do them himself. So if it is shameful to be the "bottom" in anal intercourse, it is equally wrong to be the "top."

10 comments:

Pilgrim said...

applauses John and St. Paul. Propz Pilgrim

MartininBroda said...

I see you try hard to give justice to the bible and I’m waiting for the conclusion (thank God it seems I have a bit time to fulfill my promise to answer something, I’m not completely sure but I guess I have some points already).

Anonymous said...

I have heard people make that comment: that Paul is saying that homosexuality is wrong for heterosexuals.

At first it seemed to make sense but I was soon not convinced it made much sense.

Anonymous said...

Here is a guy making that argument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOTBycRfpBI

(I have not re-listened to the clip so I am going off of memory).

Mr. Urs said...

I'm quite curious for that conclusion. Right now I think that St. Paul does really condone what I'm doing under the sheets.

Those writings aren't by any chance part of the Apocrypha? I'm just looking for a loophole on technicalities...

Pilgrim said...

@Gomad, it´s not apokryph, since you can read it in every bible of the ordained churches. ...John, after my visit of Chris´grave I would like to do a post on "In Memory Of Razz", if that is possible.P.S. It is 3 months almost since and I think, I could do it on the spot of the 26th. Prpz from Brighton, Pilgrim

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the comments.

@ Pilgrim — I'd be very happy to read about your visit to Brighton and your memories of Chris, whatever you are able to tell us. I'm not sure if I have the ability to add you as a contributor to "In Memory of Razz." I'll check on it and get back to you.

naturgesetz said...

@ Pilgrim — To add you as an author on "In Memory of Razz" I have to enter your e-mail address. Since you have not made it visible in your profile, I assume you will not want to put it in a comment here. So the thing to do is e-mail it to me at naturgesetz@comcast.net

If you don't want to do that you can e-mail me what you want to post and I'll put it on the blog for you.

Mr. Urs said...

@Pilgrim... that is circumstantial evidence at most not an argument (not that I want to start a discussion about the authenticity of the script).

naturgesetz said...

@ gomad — Well in fact I don't have anything from the Apocrypha in mind at the moment, and didn't when I wrote the post. Of course, you never know where a discussion may lead, but for now, I'm only thinking of things that are recognized as canonical by all Christians so far a s I know.