Wednesday, November 11, 2009

November 11 — Veterans Day — Followers

     This morning I attended my town's Veterans Day ceremonies in the auditorium of the Town Hall. The event was conducted by the town's Veterans' Agent. It began with the flags being advanced. There were prayers, speeches, the reading of the names of all veterans in town who had died in the past year, selections sung by the high school chorus, and the playing of "Taps." At the end of the ceremony the flags were retired.

     It lasted about 45 minutes and was was well attended — more people there than in prior years I think. And I was very impressed to see a number of high school age people there, including three guys in gray t shirts who knew enough to put their hands over their hearts during the playing of "Taps" and the singing of the national anthem.

     Today I have on new follower to welcome, Lazy Taco, who has the eponymous blog.  When you go there, you find that the profile for Lazy Taco gives the name Mexico Grandpa, a retiree living south of the border, who has a blog also called Mexico Grandpa. It seems he has been posting since July, but rather infrequently — about 6 posts so far, most of them talking about what Mexico is like. It looks like a worthwhile blog, so why not drop by and check it out?

     Surprisingly, I also "gained" a follower whose two blogs had nothing but pornography. And I don't mean pictures of guys in speedos, I mean videos of guys having sex. I can't imagine why he would want to follow my blog, unless it's to have his profile picture appear and get occasional new readers from people who decide to check out who he is. If he wants to follow my blog because he finds my content worthwhile, that's fine; but I don't intend to let my blog be a direct conduit to a pornographic blog.  So I've "blocked" him as a follower, which I hope will make him invisible in the followers gadget on my front page.

6 comments:

mrgagaa said...

With several wars in progress I think people are taking Veterans Day more "seriously" (or at least taking the time to contemplate its significance) than they might otherwise. . . which is good, no matter where one stands politically. We should remember those who've given so much for things we so often take for granted.

Cooper said...

Hey don't be a porn hater it pays the bills sometimes! Just kidding it's your blog like was told to me. I am just glad you follow me and I follow you.

Anonymous said...

Veteran's day meant a lot to me this year. I guess a lot of WW2 veterans are now passed on, and most if not all WW1 veterans. There used to be a fair amount of both when I was a kid, and it seems like a such a loss to have them gone away, men that fought two of the bloodiest wars in history.

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@ mrgagaa & James — I agree: it's an important and meaningful day.

@ Cooper — I'm glad too.

BrightenedBoy said...

Were you in the military? I didn't notice anything specific here on Veterans' Day, but this is a pretty large college campus so I'm sure there was some kind of commemoration.

naturgesetz said...

@ Brightened Boy — I wasn't in the military. Three of my four uncles served in WWII, and when I was in town government I was proud to be able to march in my town's Memorial Day parade and I became aware of the Veterans Day exercises. I've continued to attend.