Since I think God created sex as a way for us to be an image of his creative love, I find entirely reasonable the teaching of the Catholic Church that my same-sex attraction goes in a direction inconsistent with the meaning of sex. In the word the Church uses, my sexual appetite is disordered. Not my fault: I didn't choose it. Not God's fault any more than any other disorder in the world: he permits it, but I don't think he miraculously intervenes at our conception or some later time to say, "Zap, you're gay." Not anybody else's fault, because nobody else intended it either.
But if God loves me, am I not as much entitled to the joy and the pleasure of sexual activity as any heterosexual person? In a word, no. I have to go back and give some more of my beliefs. I believe that God's love for us is shown most clearly in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that if there was ever a possibility for perfect happiness on this earth, sin destroyed it, and all of us have to put up with some elements of pain, suffering, and sorrow in our lives. Some people get dread diseases, some people lose loved ones to death at times or in circumstances that are especially painful, some people are homosexual. I believe that Jesus calls me and all his followers to take up our cross daily, that is to accept the suffering and sorrow which we cannot overcome, and that somehow it gets joined to what he did to restore to us the everlasting joy beyond this life which is God's plan for us.
In other words, I don't think God is obligated to give any of us happiness in this life. I think we should be profoundly grateful in the first place simply for our existence, and then for whatever happiness we do experience on this earth. I look forward to eternal joy.
I can see that I may have missed out on a lot of happiness because I have chosen to act in accordance with my beliefs. To do otherwise, I would have had to change my beliefs (not easy to do), or to try to tell myself that I had changed my beliefs when I hadn't, or to behave contrary to my beliefs. But I also think that I had problems other than my choice to be celibate, and that those problems also contributed in considerable degree to my loneliness through much of my life. I really believe that with support, such as that offered by Courage, which did not exist when I was growing up, and with counseling and therapy if necessary, it is possible for a homosexual person to find emotional intimacy and true happiness in a loving "Platonic" friendship or friendships.
So how do I explain myself? I see no reason to believe that I am entitled to sexual fulfillment. I see myself as one whom God loves infinitely and unconditionally. I see my homosexuality as merely one instance of the mystery of why God lets pain, sorrow, and struggle exist. I cannot explain the mystery, but I cannot let that mystery drive me away from God. It's a matter of accepting creation as I see it. I live my life in the joy of God's love and in the sorrow of an imperfect world and in the hope of a life extending beyond this earthly existence where the pain of this existence is vastly outweighed and makes it all worth it.
I hope this answers the anonymous commenters question. I hope it doesn't sound too preachy, but how else can I say what I believe when it happens to be what my church teaches? How can I leave my beliefs out of it? I hope it tells other readers why I choose not to engage in conduct which they think is not at all wrong.

8 comments:
Thank You!
You are the first person I've ever encountered who found the courage and already had the words to share their very intimate and personal answer to my question.
I really appreciate the fact that you trusted both your readers and yourself enough to allow us such an unobstructed view into your thoughts and beliefs. I now understand your individual ability to hold beliefs that I previously thought incompatible. I also think that these two posts will help many who may read your blog to have a greater understanding of your uncommon point of view.
Once again, thanks.
Now you've got me thinking. I'll tell you more when I've got it organized.
Have a great evening.
I know you're much older than me and much smarter than me and probably think more holistically than me, but I still think God wants us to be happy and thus provides us pathways to be happy.
But if you're happy, then no need to worry, because you're there! I'm glad you've made choices in your life that you've thought through and I respect your forever for being so strong in your conviction and faith!
Thanks to both of you for your kind words.
Joshua, I certainly don't think that God actively wants us to be unhappy. And one point I'm trying to make on this blog is that a life of celibacy is not without happiness and joy. I just think that sometimes we can't or shouldn't be happy in every way we'd like. God bless you and give you much joy.
And God bless you and give you joy too, anonymous, and whoever else reads this.
Can I first say that you wrote that in the most eloquent way possible. You words were neither divisive, nor accusatory. I think that if there were to be a religious argument against homosexuality what you wrote would be it. Props to you.
On the other hand, I must say that we, as humans, assume a great deal about what God wants. My favorite comparison to God in the bible is "God is love". For me that means, at a visceral level, god loves me unconditionally. That he delights in seeing me happy. There are no stipulations on that kind of love. I find it admirable that you chose to live the way that you are living. If that's what you believe then I hope God is pleased with your sacrifice.
I find it strange sometimes to write about God even though I grew up in church. I still don't consider myself very religious at all.
@ E —
Thanks for your kind words.
Of course I agree that God is love. (I have to. It's in the Bible.) I also agree that he wants to see us happy. But I'd like to suggest that, like a parent who loves his or her child unconditionally and wants the child always to be happy, he knows better than we do where our true happiness lies. A parent may have to take the child to the doctor for a shot. A parent may have to refuse the child an unhealthful snack. A parent may have to tell a child it's bedtime, stop watching TV.
You are entitled to write about God regardless of how "religious" you feel. Of course, if you keep thinking about God and writing about God, some day you may discover that you are religious. So keep at it!
I'm sorry to disagree but I don't regard your position as courageous. It seems to me quite the opposite.
The courageous thing to do when faced with the insoluble contradictions between your faith and your heart is take the pain and choose.
The logic here is that god gave you the capacity to love and then deliberately denied you the means. This is either a false logic (and therefore to be rejected) or it is evidence of cruel god.
Again the courageous man must choose.
I don't mean you any offence. I admire your honesty. But I believe you are tying yourself up in knots completely willfully.
Mark —
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
You write —
//The courageous thing to do when faced with the insoluble contradictions between your faith and your heart is take the pain and choose.//
Of course, I did choose. I chose my faith, with whatever pain had to follow from that choice.
You then write —
//The logic here is that god gave you the capacity to love and then deliberately denied you the means. //
Here I have to disagree. I do not think that God deliberately denied me the means to love. In the first place, I believe that it is possible to love without having sex. I have loved a number of people in varying ways with varying degrees of intensity. What I have not done with any of the people I loved is to express that love through sexual activity.
So at most God has denied me the option of expressing love sexually. But even there, as I said, I don't think God decides to make people gay. I think it is some set of natural factors in combination with the events of our lives. But even if it is completely genetic, that's still not a specific decision by God, but the operation of the physical world. If God denies me the option of sexual expression, it is only by the nature of his gift of sex.
As I see it, I have the capacity both to love and to be loved. If I have failed to love as much as I could have and have failed to let myself receive love as much as I could have, my caution with respect to sex was probably a factor. But I am sure that my personality — at once shy and superior-feeling — had a lot to do with it as well. And I am confident that a gay young person today, with support that was not around fifty years ago, can learn how to express and receive love in an enduring chaste friendship, if he wants to. This is why I post a link to the Courage website. If they had been around fifty years ago, I think I could have done better.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but I thought you were entitled to an adequate response.
Naturgesetz-
I am trying to catch up on all of your blog posts-- as I have been meaning to for some time now.
First- you are probably the most patient person I have encountered online. You thoughtfully, patiently, and appropriately answer each of these questions from everyone! You clearly seem to embody and demonstrate the christian beliefs that you believe. I find this almost unique- as you probably could've guessed, because many of the religious people that I encounter here in the ole' south are fundamentalists and pentecostals.
I am not going to continue to banter on about my "faith" here, but just wanted to point out how much I appreciate someone who has clearly thought out their beliefs and actually follows them.
I haven't made it through your entire blog roll--do you cover "how" you became so religious? Were your parents very religious or did you "find" religion?
You may be surprised to know that I am a confirmed catholic and attended mass regularly (also alter boy) until High School...and then I could do no more! But I would love to hear about your journey from parents instruction to personal beliefs. Obviously, even with very religious parents, you have to at some point reflect on what they teach you vs others vs yourself...and come to some decision. I cannot believe that you thorough beliefs are just a natural conclusion from being dragged to church every sunday as a boy.
Much Love,
Steve
Post a Comment