But it is almost entirely negative in its outlook,or at least in what was presented in the catechisms of the day.
So I was delighted 18 months ago to hear a presentation by Christopher West on Pope John Paul's "Theology of the Body." The Pope put sexual morality on a positive basis. Starting from Jesus' response to the question of divorce, "In the beginning it was not so," he went back to look at how it was in the beginning. He articulated that in the beginning the sexuality of male and female was part of God's creation that was "very good." He saw that it is in the very act by which man and woman obey the positive command to be fruitful and multiply that humans are most fully the image and likeness of God. Their love is the image of the love among Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, their commitment is the image of the unbreakable bond of the Trinity as well as God's faithful love for his people. Their openness to procreation is the image of God's loving creation, especially his creation of man and woman. Marriage, therefore is the "primordial sacrament."
That is how it was in the beginning. That is what we have fallen from, with our lusts. That is what Christ restores through his redemptive work. Conduct which is wrong is conduct which does not live up to the greatness which is God's will for us from the beginning. Sex is not dirty. Sex is wonderful when lived according to God's loving plan.
I'll have more to say on this later, I hope.

2 comments:
It's so good to hear something from the Church that isn't a list of Don'ts and Noes.
You have a supremely unique perspective with this blog, and I certainly hope you keep it up!
Thanks for the encouragement.
It's so important to realize that Christianity isn't first and foremost about avoiding sin. It's about living joyfully in God, being redeemed by Jesus Christ, love of God and neighbor. That is something I am trying to learn.
I have a story on this point about a monk I knew. I hope to get to post it soon.
Post a Comment