Friday, June 26, 2009

What Does St. Paul Say — Introduction, Part 2.

Another point about this series, I'm not planning to discuss whether scripture is somehow binding on us or in what way, although that could make for a worthwhile discussion. I might even be persuaded the get into it at the end of this series on St. Paul. In his first comment on the earlier post, feetxxxl said,
"if you examine the words of scripture you will find that scripture never said homosexuality was a sin.


in fact according to paul's writings affirming, supporting and celebrating homosexuality in the same way we do heterosexuality is of the new covenant of christ."
This seems to imply that he thinks scripture in general, and St. Paul's writings in particular are relevant for us, so that will be my operating assumption. In other words the question is what it says, not whether we should pay any attention to it.


That said, and just for background, my view is that the Catholic Church expresses it well when it calls scripture the word of God in the words of men and says that scripture teaches without error those truths which God wished to put there for the sake of our salvation.

5 comments:

Mr. Urs said...

Just to clarify since I'm a Zwinglian with little knowledge of the Catholic Church's teaching... Given that St. Paul's writings are relevant for us and that they are part of the word of God, do we have to take them literally or are we allowed to interpret them in the context of the times they were written and translated?

naturgesetz said...

@ gomad.ch — An extended discussion should probably be in the parts about what the passages mean. For now, suffice it to say that I think we need to try to understand what the writer meant or understood.

Pilgrim said...

ST.Paul considered homosexuality as evil, This fffxxx is so wrong! I know both, the King James´bible as I do kn´know the roman bible!

naturgesetz said...

@ Pilgrim — I'll be taking it step by step, one passage at a time, as I get into the following posts.

Anonymous said...

Okay, first off, why would you consider St.Pauls writings as equal footing of gods words. I think its very contradictory and hypocritical to take any words, other than those of god, as divine. I think Catholicism is one of the great polytheistic religions of the world today, as a matter of fact, a recent Vatican study indicated that Jesus was the fourth person on a list of people Catholics pray to... FOURTH! Mary was the first of course.

Now, whoever said the bible doesnt explicitly say that homosexuality is a sin, must not have read the bible. Of course religion is made up as we go along, and divinity is open to interpretations with more variety than a skittles back, but let me indulge you.

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Lev. 18:22)

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them. (Lev. 20:13)

and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. (Rom. 1:26-27)

Why is gods word open for interpretation to begin with...