Early this month, feetxxxl engaged me in some discussion about whether scripture says that homosexuality is sinful. I felt that there were places in the writings of St. Paul where he clearly says it is, and feetxxxl pointed to other places which he thinks mean that Paul affirms, supports, and celebrates it. The discussion did not make much progress, and at the end I promised to revisit the question, one issue at a time.
Next Monday, June 29, is the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul, and I think this is a good time to at least begin the discussion. Here's a tentative outline of the posts I expect to make. After each one there will be time for discussion via comments, but I will limit discussion to the topic at hand. If other questions are raised, I'll set them aside for a later post.
1. What does St. Paul say explicitly on the question?
2. What do these explicit passages mean? (Separate posts possibly for different passages)
3. Are there other passages which seem to bear on the question?
4. What do these passages mean? (Separate posts possibly for different passages)
5. Are there conflicts in St. Paul's teaching, and if so how should we resolve them?
The word "homosexuality" can mean different things — same-sex attraction, homosexual orientation, conduct between two or more people of the same sex which is motivated by or expressive of sexual attraction on the part of at least one of them, conduct between two or more people of the same sex in which the genitalia of at least one are invloved, etc. I intend to deal with issues of conduct, not attraction without action. I do not think that St. Paul regards an orientation or a non-lustful attraction as inherently sinful; and I consider the issue of lust as one which applies both to homosexual and heterosexual attitudes and thus outside the scope of this discussion, which is about homosexuality. Subject to revision in the light of discussion, I'm tentatively defining "homosexuality" as conduct between two or more men which includes anal intercourse, fellatio, or other conduct involving genitalia of a sort which is engaged in by men and women with each other.

5 comments:
I will look forward to your thoughts and discussion on the matter.
In Paul's time, there was no concept of a homosexual orientation. Homosexuals were thought to be people who deliberately went against their own nature to commit acts of perversion. We know now that that is absolutely not the case.
Paul would've considered homosexuals to be heterosexuals who engage in unnatural acts with other heterosexuals of the same gender, not people who are naturally attracted to the same gender both physically and romantically.
This really needs to be taken into account when discussing the writings of Paul, just as OT condemnations of male same-sex activity need to be taken in context: waste of seed is the offense, not same-gender physical love, or else female same-sex behavior would've been banned, as well.
Just remember to restate your definition when you do the series or else people will get confused.
I can't wait.
Very good idea, so those shmocks w/their Deuteronomy can learn. Keep the good work. Propz Pilgrim
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.
@ Mr. HCI — What you say is good for discussion in Part 4 as I've outlined it. Please remind me of it when the time comes.
Post a Comment