Martin's blog is conducted principally in German, but he understands and writes English very well (despite his claim to the contrary, if I understood his German), so don't be afraid to comment in English.
The blog is a mix of historical, literary, artistic, scenic, and religious topics, with beautiful pictures which you'll enjoy even if you don't know a word of German. So check it out. And if you don't know German, there are the translations of poetry — Übersetzungen— listed in the column to the right.
I ought to read it more faithfully than I do as a way of brushing up and expanding my German, as well as a way of learning fascinating things about all the topics he posts on.

6 comments:
I just had a sneak peak in to this blog. 1. Rilke is not translable, as well as Rimbaud is not available in english and only in poor german translations.
Well, enjoy the rest of it.
Poetry must be extremely difficult to translate, since there is so much more than the literal meaning of the words involved. Obviously those who can read and appreciate the original don't need translations, but for those who can't, the translation can give some idea of what the poem is about, IMO, even if it can't capture the whole thing.
I wouldn´t dare to translate an arab poem, even if it means the world to me, into any other language. Poems are the only form of literature, which is untranlable.
A P.S. to yesterdays comment; Ste said he deleted one, but answered the other. So, could it be possible, you took his e-mail for junk? bbl Pilgrim
Actually my English is really bad, but thanks, thanks indeed for this very kind introduction, maybe I would have made a more interesting post if I’d suppose this (the introduction itself not the kindness of course), but funny thing, this post was an introduction itself of some new works from Prof. Aue from Nova Scotia whom I appreciate much, translations of course, most of the translations I have used at my blog are his translations. The main reason was to show some of my English speaking friends a bit of German poetry.
@ Pilgrim: Poetry is untranslatable of course, but it’s an airily said truth, I hope He forgives me, but the mystery of God is unutterable and we try although, because he means something to us.
Anyway, thanks again for your kind words, have a great Sunday.
@ Pilgrim — I received a reply from Ste to my response to his first e-mail to me. That was April 19. But no reply to either of the e-mails I forwarded on April 30. It is highly unlikely that I would have deleted a reply as junk, since I always read e-mails to my naturgesetz accounts before I dispose of them, and I would not have thought of anything from him as junk. I suppose I could have been very sleepy and hit the wrong key inadvertently, but I think I would have realized that I had received it even if I deleted it by mistake. Oh well.
Thanks for asking about it for me.
Post a Comment