In the United States, the last Monday in May is Memorial Day, a holiday intended specifically to remember and honor all who have given their lives in wartime military service to country. When I think of them, I often think of John 15:13, "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." My thoughts also turn to those who also served and undertook the risk that they might also lose their lives, but who survived, some in good health, and some with permanent injuries or disabilities.
Regardless of our feelings about the merits of particular wars, I hope we can all respect and honor those who gave their lives in our country's service, as well as those who put themselves where they might have done the same.
So I hope all Americans will take time tomorrow to remember our war dead, and to attend any public ceremony held in your community to mark the day.
In my town, the ceremonies begin at 8:00 with a wreath laying at the town landing in honor of those who died at sea. Then a parade forms at the old town hall, which was also the headquarters of the Grand Army of the Republic. At 9:00, led by a grand marshal and the Board of Selectmen, it begins to march about 1/2 mile to the park where the memorials to our dead from the Civil War and subsequent wars are located. There they pause for prayers, a speech, a song, rifle salute, and Taps. Then the parade forms again and marches about a mile to the town's largest cemetery, where similar exercises take place as well as the placing of wreaths by the town, veterans' organizations and scouting groups. Then the parade returns to the old town house, approximately another mile. where the flag is hoisted from half staff to full staff, concluding the ceremonies.
In addition to the grand marshal and the selectmen, there are several marching bands, detachments of the police and fire departments, veterans' organizations, and scouting units of all levels. When I was on the Board of Selectmen, I considered it the greatest honor and privilege of office to be able to march in the parade.

5 comments:
Having had 4 grandpas in the service (one grandma remarried twice), it is a good thing to remember and honor all those that have died in service, or even those that have been in the service. May we reach a day of peace when we no longer need to send men and women into battle.
Being belgian by birth, I will dive all my respect to those, who killed a granduncle of mine in Normandy, but liberated my country, among others(i.e.british and commonwealth troops); Saluting Pilgrim
...dive = give
My father is in the military - 34 years strong and will be going to Iraq once again by his own choice.
I linked your blog to mine, I meant to do it a while ago, but I just got to it, haha.
Jonathan.
Joe, thx for your encouraging comment today, I mean I know there are more centers in Paris, but I chose the closest nearby and I can´t change every now and then between centers. Have a fine Holiday. :-) Propz Pilgrim
Post a Comment