As a girl, my mother visited the family home on PEI several times and remembered it fondly. We often said we should visit some time, but never did. About three days before she died, a letter came from one of Walter's daughters, Marian, asking for any reminiscences my mother could supply. At that point Mom's memory was pretty much gone, but my brothers and I kept in touch with Marian, and through her reconnected with the family.
In August of 2005, my brothers, sister-in-law, nephew, and I visited Walter and his wife in their ten year old home across the street from the original family home where my mother would have stayed on her visits. Various of their ten children and some grandchildren were also there. I got to spend a night in the old house. At that time, Walter was still rising early each morning to work in his vegetable garden. I visited the family again in 2006 and 2007. By the summer of 2007, Walter had suffered a stroke and was living in the seniors' lodge, but he had planted tomatoes in a couple of available spots adjacent to the driveway.
He is survived by his wife of 63 years, nine of their ten children, numerous grandchildren, and his sister Mary.
I'll be flying to PEI on Wednesday to attend the funeral on Thursday. I'll be staying with Mary, who had exchanged Christmas cards with my mother for years, until Mom's dementia became too debilitating. I'll be back Friday evening.
So I won't be blogging during that time. I'll catch up with you when I get back.

5 comments:
Hugs...
It sounds like he had a long and satisfying life, and meant something to a lot of people. Funerals are about celebrating a life well lived.
NG
sorry tohear of your loss. have safe travels take care and be safe
bob
i'm very sorry for your loss. have a safe trip.
Soory, pal, dunno whrre that is, but nust´ve reached quite an age. :-)
:(
Hope you're doing okay pal.
I made a post recently and would love your input.
much love
Post a Comment