Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols

WGBH, the public radio station which broadcasts Boston Symphony concerts on Fridays in season, will be broadcasting and streaming the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge (England, not Massachusetts) live on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. GMT (= 10:00 a.m. EST, 7:00 a.m. PST, and 2:00 a.m. Dec.25 in Victoria, Australia, I think, so mirrorboy can catch it after midnight Mass). You can get it over www.wgbh.org. The boy soprano singing the first stanza of "Once in Royal David's City" as a solo is not to be missed.

Since 1928, this service of Biblical readings with choral and organ selections has been broadcast live. I'm not sure how long ago WGBH picked it up, but I've heard it a number of times over the past 20 or more years, and find it very enjoyable.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Merry Christmas my friend!

Anonymous said...

I sang "Once in Royal David's City" as a boy soprano once. I was 12, so I wasn't too thrilled about still having such a high voice.

naturgesetz said...

I don't remember when my voice changed. By 13, when I started high school, I was a tenor. But I don't think 12 is extremely old to be a boy soprano. By then you must have had some good power behind the voice.