Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Surgery

Back on September 6, I did myself a mischief, as Hyacinth Bucket would say. I was pulling the anchor for one of the inflatable tetrahedrons we use as marks for the sailboats to go around as part of their race course. I got too enthusiastic, and felt a twinge in the lower right abdomen. It remained tender from time to time and "hurt when I coughed." Eventually there was a bit of swelling from time to time.

To keep a short story from getting too long, the physician I went to six weeks later agreed that I had a hernia, as did the surgeon a few weeks after that. So I will have it surgically repaired tomorrow morning. The operation is scheduled for 8:30 a.m., and I have to be at the hospital by 7:00. If there are no problems, I'll probably be sent home in the middle of the day. I feel pretty confident, since the surgeon is the former chief of surgery at the hospital.

But I don't know whether I'll feel like blogging right away. Apparently for the first few days I'll be much more uncomfortable than the hernia has made me so far. So if you don't hear from me for a couple of days, you'll know the reason. If you never hear from me again, you'll know that something went terribly wrong.

13 comments:

Peter said...

My brother had hernia surgery last winter. They kept him overnight for two reasons:

1. He got really sick from the anesthetic.

2. The weather was awful. He was practically snowed in.

Also a older gentleman from the church had hernia surgery this past summer. He was able to go home the same day without any trouble from the anesthetic. The next week he unexpectedly had to go back for another operation on the same side, and just a little below the first one. This time he did get sick from the anesthetic.

Sorry if I spooked you a little. I'm sure you will be fine. Hope you have someone at home to take care of you if you do get sick.

Best wishes,

Pete

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Pete.

When I met the surgeon, he said that they could give me a sedative and follow that with local anesthesia. I'm hoping for that, because general anesthesia is something I'd rather not have.

It would be kind of cool to be able to talk to people while the operation is going on and to be aware of the progress.

Sidenote: I once had a dentist who had little mirrors on the light fixtures, so you could watch your teeth being cleaned. Well one of my back molars broke after years of not getting the crown my previous dentist had advised me to get. And I watched in the mirror as he extracted the tooth. He told me I was the only patient of his who had ever done that.

But I can't watch the technician put a needle in my arm to draw blood or start a drip, and watching the blood fill the little tubes is dicey, too.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck, hope everything goes well. I'm not sure if you'll see this before but I'm sure you'll be fine. Hernia surgery is a fairly common thing and I know a few friends have gotten it done and a few other athletes too.

But anyway you'll be in my prayers. Hope you have a speedy recovery and I hope to read your writings again soon. Take care...

-C

naturgesetz said...

Thanks, Courage.

Anonymous said...

Here's praying for you. And here's praying the pain meds work! XD

Steevo said...

Slice and dice, eh? My dad had that surgery. NP.

AND a legal high to boot!

Sending healing thoughts... and let the youngins do the heavy lifting FFS! We can't afford a personal attendant! He'd probably be 20 and cute as hell and drive you mad, I say, mad!

s
.

Anonymous said...

I'm just happy you enjoy british comedy!

Good luck =]

It's pronounced bouquet'

haha :)

j said...

I'm really sorry that has to happen, but I wish you all the luck in the world for a fast recovery.

Please tell us how it goes!

Jonathan.

charlie said...

Hey! Good luck for the surgery! Normally it's rather common and it shouldn't be any trouble, you'll be on your feet the day after, I'm sure!

All the best!

Seth said...

Just make sure the surgeon washes his hands first!!!

Best wishes, and hope you have a speedy recovery. We'll hold you to it!!

:)

Doug said...

Get well soon! I hope the surgery went swimmingly! :)

Joshua said...

Omg I hope you feel better! I'm sure the surgery will help, but you're still in our prayers! :D

Does it still hurt?

naturgesetz said...

Thanks to everybody for the prayers and good wishes.

Amazingly, the aftermath has not been as painful as I had expected after the surgeon told me what to expect. At first it might have been lingering effects of the anesthesia. But now, about 40 hours later, it is a little sore when I'm standing, so I walk slowly. It only really hurts when I go from sitting to standing or vice-versa. When I'm sitting, I hardly feel it most of the time.

So thus far, I haven't needed the vicodin.

Thanks again for the support.