Monday, December 1, 2008

Nuisance!

Among the things I do for my church is schedule the people who will help out in the Sunday Masses. The new schedule begins next Saturday afternoon, so people need to get it pretty soon. The process of issuing the schedule has several steps. First I make a schedule covering seven or eight weeks. Then I put each week's schedule on a separate sheet of paper, which the secretary will type up. I also write a cover memo. Schedule and cover memo have to be submitted to the pastor for approval. Then I can photocopy the whole thing and mail it out to everybody.

This morning I got up early to do the second and third steps: copy the schedule onto separate sheets for each weekend (and Christmas, this time), and write the cover memo. Only to discover that I hadn't finished the overall schedule. I had somehow taken it into my head a couple of days ago that I had finished that part. So I was expecting to get everything to the secretary and run it by the pastor during the day and get it into the mail this evening. But no!. It took so long to finish the general schedule that the secretary had left for the day well before I had the sheets ready for her. So I'm basically a day behind where I had expected to be. If all goes without a hitch from this pint, the best I can hope for is to get it into the mail tomorrow afternoon. Some people wight then get it on Wednesday, but Thursday is also a possibility — not ideal when you're telling people they're on duty Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

Well, it's my own darn fault for not bearing down harder over the weekend (and earlier) and having everything ready to go before this morning. If I weren't a world-class procrastinator all would have been well.

3 comments:

Mirrorboy said...

I am the world master of procrastination.

Anyways, good luck with the mailing. :)

I'm curious about what you'll be doing for Christmas. I remember when i was younger that i went to Xmas Mass with my Nan one time. I think it involved candles and a lot of hymns... then again, i was a bit too young to remember. :P

lotsa love,
===>mirrorboy<===

"equallyp" hmm... lol that just sounds funny - equally pee :D

Anonymous said...

You have no excuse of staying up late and talking to me, lol. ;)

naturgesetz said...

It gets worse.

I gave the secretary a copy of the sheets to type and told the pastor I had a copy of everything for him. He said leave it his mail slot. He'd review it and get back to me by 11:00. (This was just after 9:00.) Shortly after 1:00 the secretary calls and says it's ready to go. I pick up the typed copy, mailing labels, and envelopes. I put postage on the envelopes using the parish postage meter. I make a bunch of photocopies, and put the labels for the people scheduled for next weekend on envelopes and get them to the Post Office in time for the 5:00 p.m. collection.

At a meeting at 7:00 the pastor tells me he'll look at the schedule and get back to me tomorrow morning. Well, I've already mailed some of them out. Well, he had only found the cover memo, and he had not told the secretary it was okay. She had just typed them up and called me when she was done.

So now, after a morning filled with other stuff, I'm going to have to meet with him and go over the thing and see if he wants any revisions.

And I've got a flat tire on my car which I won't be able to do anything about until after that.

Thank goodness I procrastinated on sending out the schedules to the people who are not scheduled for next weekend!