Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008

As I commented to The Courage, most years are mostly routine. For me, 2008 was one of those years. There were only a few things that were different from stuff I've been doing for years.

1.  I went to Avondale, CO for the Confirmation of a cousin's younger son. I had been there twice before, including a visit two years ago for the older son's Confirmation.

2.  I drove to Québec City in August. It was my first time there. They were celebrating the 400th anniversary of the founding of the city by Champlain. I stayed at the Château Frontenac, which is really nice, but way too expensive. It's a beautiful city, and I recommend it to anybody who gets the chance to go there.

3.  I discovered this corner of the blogosphere, started commenting and then began this blog. I've found a lot of likeable people here.

4.  In November I started seeing a spiritual director. I think I need someone to encourage me to start growing in my spiritual life, my relationship with God, which has been stagnant for several years. I hope I'll find enough self-discipline to take his advice. Since I retired, and especially since my mother died, my days have been pretty disorganized. I need to set specific times for prayer and spiritual reading, as well as for other areas of my life. It may mean less time blogging, but I think this is basically worthwhile, so I expect to keep at it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you say your life is mostly routine, mine is becoming that way too.

And it sounds like your trips were nice. I live pretty close (its still a decent drive) to Quebec City but have never been and I've always wanted to go to CO.

Maybe you should make 2009 far from a routine year. You are retired right? Aren't you allowed to mix it up a little bit then?

Best of luck, and happy new year.

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

I retired (early) a few months ago, but am blessed to have my children and dogs to look after. As for slight disorganization, I can understand what you mean, but for me that is nothing new! While we are going in different directions, I hope we can share a bit of self-discipline next year.

Happy New Year G =]

naturgesetz said...

Courage, although I am retired, I do have things that I am involved in so even if I could afford it, I wouldn't want to be completely footloose and fancy free.

Doomed but cheerful, one thing I have learned is that being retired means you never get a vacation,and you never get a day off. Cheers.

Happy New Year to you both.

Anonymous said...

I do not know why I thought your mom was still here.
I hope you do not cut down on your blogging either--but blogging won't get you to heaven; so do what you have to do!

naturgesetz said...

A.Friend —
I don't think I had actually mentioned it.

Mom died in 2004, at age 93.

She had been declining for several years with senile dementia, so it was not a tragedy when she went to the life beyond this earthly existence.